Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Muscle Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Muscle Disease

So had a really weird experience this evening, after making a couple of chickens on the rotisserie, when I cut into the breast of the first one it was bright green in the middle. While I discarded that one and checked the second (which was ok), my wife looked it up and it seems to be something called Green Muscle Disease (according to a UK gov site.. https://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whats..._Chickens.html). Anybody else ever ran into this?

Yikes!!!!
    Smart move tossing it, sounds gross.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the share!

Comment

I think I turned green reading that...

Comment

Hmmmm, always nice to learn new things...

Many Thanks fer sharin with us, amigo!

Comment

Sounds gross... even though the article says it is safe, I would have tossed the chicken too!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL to both, Brother!

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris
              According to Dr. Seuss, green eggs with your ham is OK, Tham-I-Am.

A friend of mine read that story to her kids, explaining that the point of the story was not to fear something just because it is different. The next day she put green food coloring in the scrambled eggs, and the kids wouldn't eat them.
              Last edited by gcdmd; January 18, 2021, 11:01 AM.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              gcdmd one year at Thanksgiving many years ago, when my kids were young, my wife got the idea to put green food coloring in the gravy for Thanksgiving dinner! One of my brother in laws wouldn't eat it - the kids thought it was "cool" and everyone else slopped it on their turkey and dressing!

Was the tenderloin green, and nothing else, or was it into the actual major breast muscle?

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              For those that don't know, Jerod is our go to guy for food safety questions.

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              Unappetizing either way!

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              gcdmd more so for realizing the ton of information I don't know

No, but interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Never heard of this at all. Thanks for sharing. I would have tossed as well and probably would not have been in the mood to eat the good one

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Especially if they came from the same store on the same day.

Now I have something else to worry about...lol.

Comment

I've had green alligator..........

The Unicorn Song - The Irish Rovers - Lyrics , - Bing video

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and long-necked geese, humpty back camels . . .
                  A trip down memory lane.

That’s a new one to me. Thanks for sharing. I too would have pitched it and probably the other one too for good measure and lack of chicken appetite!

Comment

Sounds like the best way to avoid is to get pasture raised birds from a local producer and avoid Cornish Cross.

Comment

had that one time, freaked me out.... also tumors on pork butts, yuck!

Comment

First time I heard of this affliction, so in googled it. This is what I found'

Green Meat in Chickens?
                      Consumers typically purchase fresh meat products based upon their appearance and attractive, bright colour is very often a consideration for the purchase. However, some chickens are found to have yellowish-green colour in their meat. Is there anything wrong with these green chickens?

The unusual green colour in chicken meat is usually due to a condition known as Green Muscle Disease (or Oregon Disease) which is found in commercially raised broiler chickens. In poultry farming, broiler chickens are kept relatively inactive during the growing period. Consequently, the pectoral muscles (breast muscles) are not exercised enough to increase the efficiency of its circulatory supply. As these muscles in poultry cannot expand in response to physical activity, a short period of sudden and excessive wing flap can compromise the blood supply and lead to degeneration and cell death in the tissue. The affected muscle has a characteristic swollen reddish-brown lesion that later becomes green and shrunken and then pale green, depending upon the time of induction of the vigorous wing exercise.

The lesion does not impair the general health of the chickens and is generally found during cut-up and deboning. The condition is not associated with any infectious or harmful substance and has no food safety concern other than affecting the aesthetic appearance of the meat.

"no food safety concern" don't care, not eating it.

Comment

• RickyBobby
                        RickyBobby commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m absolutely with you on the not eating it! As we all know, the first thing you eat with is your eyes.

• ComfortablyNumb
                        ComfortablyNumb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Makes sense. Commercially raised Cornish Cross live a sedentary life, basically grain to flesh machines. They can grow so fast that their legs can't support them and broken legs aren't uncommon. I raised some CC's last year and the only time they flapped their wings was when I grabbed them out of their pen and took them to the killing cone, and it was a lifetimes worth of flapping! It was, however, short lived.

• Dan Deter
                        Dan Deter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah we saw that no food safety concern and threw the whole bird away anyway. My wife almost wouldn't eat the other one...

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here