Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie Chicken

I am installing a rotisserie on my gasser on Saturday and cooking a whole chicken. The grill has 4 burners. For indirect heat do I place the bird in the middle with the outside burners on or on one side (would that be unbalanced). where do I put the smoke chip box?

I have never done this but my guess would be, move the bird to one side and use one burner (two if need be). And put the smoke chip box above the lit burner. If I were doing this that is what i would do. Its always awesome getting the rotisserie out.
    Good luck. This cook is prime for some awesome pics brother, and we love pics!!!

Comment

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Since I can't put the thermometer in the chicken when is the first time I should check the temp and how often after that?

Question. Since I can't put a thermometer in the chicken, when is the first time I should check the temp and how often after that should I check so it is not over done?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I have zero experience with rotisserie, but I have done plenty of chickens so I can offer some general tips. When cooked at 325-340 (as measured by a reliable digital thermometer up where the bird will be) an average ~5lb chicken, spatchcocked, will take 1:15-1:30 to cook the breasts to ~160-165. I would suggest spot-checking them at the 1:00 mark, and every 10-15min thereafter.

However, an intact, non-butterflied whole chicken may take longer since it's only cooking from the outside in, not both sides simultaneously so it'll likely take longer than my methods....but if it takes you 2 hrs, or 2.5 hrs, you'll only have to worry about repeated temp-taking and impatient waiting this first time. Take notes as far as your times & temps, and your next cook will be way more predictable. Pull it when the coolest spot of the breasts hits 160. What do you have for thermometer(s)?

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Maverick Redi Check - Wife wouldn't let me spend the $ for the ET 733 or732. I think it will work. Raining to day in SC PA so will have to wait for later this week.

Weber gas with IR rotisserie usually takes about 90 minutes for 2 approximately 3-1/2 lb chickens with 2 end burners on high initially and then down to medium.

Comment

I put the bird in the middle and light the two outside burners.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here