Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Fried Chicken Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here are two stand-by recipes that I like:

1. This is from a tourist guide in Natchez - my receptionist went there on vacation and brought the guide back. The recipe is from a local Natchez restaurant and this chicken is just the way I like it: simple, light breading, juicy. I've had this style at several small restaurants including a local place here in Port Arthur called Southern Kitchen (alas, after many years in business they gave up after a few hurricanes).

For frying I like a blend of peanut oil and lard.

2-3 lb chicken
    1t salt
    1t pepper
    1/2t garlic powder
    1/2t onion powder

Rub this seasoning onto the chicken, place in a zipper bag, refrigerate overnight.

The next day make the breading:

2c flour
    1t salt
    1/2t paprika
    1/2t cayenne
    1/2t garlic powder
    1/2t onion powder
    1/2t black pepper

Mix together in a bowl. Preheat oil (enough to cover the chicken) in a deep skillet or a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Roll chicken in the seasoned flour and place into the hot oil.Cook until golden, turn frequently if using a skillet. Drain and serve.

2. From the Lodge cast iron website - older recipe no longer on their site:

One change: I like to lightly salt then marinate the chicken overnight in buttermilk and garlic powder.

2 eggs
    2T milk
    1 1/4c flour
    1 1/2t pepper
    1/4t cumin
    1/4t dried oregano (crumple it with your fingers)
    1/4t paprika
    1c shortening

Beat eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Mix dry ingredients. Dip chicken in the egg mixture and then into the seasoned flour. Melt shortening in a 12" skillet/chicken fryer(the Lodge chicken fryer is ideal for this) to about 350 degrees.* Brown the chicken on both sides, reduce heat to a low fry, cover, and cook about 45 minutes, turning 2-3 times until golden brown and the juices run clear. The meat will start to pull up on the drum sticks. Drain and serve.

*Note: I usually have enough oil in the skillet to come 2/3 the way up the chicken. Brown both sides and low temp fry covered, turning every 15 minutes, until done. The goal is for the oil to be hot enough to keep frying the chicken without being cool enough to make it greasy.

The Lodge recipe also calls for a gravy (so make some mashed taters and/or biscuits):

save about 1/4c of the cooking oil
    1/4c flour
    1/2t salt
    1/8t pepper
    1c milk
    1c water
    fresh oregano for garnish

Stir four, salt, and pepper into oil and lightly brown, stirring the whole time. Slowly add the milk and stir. Add water until desired consistency - bring to a low boil to allow the gravy to thicken. Serve with the chicken, garnish if desired with fresh oregano.
    Last edited by 58limited; January 1, 2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I typically brine overnight with salt, water, franks hot sauce. Then pat dry, refrigerate uncovered for a few hours to dry out the skin. I then dredge in buttermilk and bourbon, bread in flour (usually season the flour with salt/pepper/cayenne), then dry in peanut oil between 350/375.

pull and put on a rack to cool. I also like to make a hot sauce to finish them with, Nashville hot chicken style... basically just oil, cayenne, some smoked paprika, cumin, pepper. It usually comes out amazing.

I base most of it off our "The General’s Fried Chicken" recipe in Alton Brown’s book. These pictures don’t really do it justice, I’ll try to get better ones the next time I make it! The ones that a really dark are glazed with the spice mix.Click image for larger version

Name:	FE27FDC9-DF7E-4556-835C-D4ADB15F97E2.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	966952Click image for larger version

Name:	97CF5212-1538-4096-81C2-D1A777A39A3E.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	966953

Comment

Thank you for all the advice! Results in SUWYC!

Comment

Seek,sit,roll up sleeves, proceed to strip the bones clean,,,,

Comment

Best chicken I've ever fried was following the guidelines on Ernest 's blog

Comment

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't get it to pull up now.
              Maybe he'll share. Or comment on his
              Man-Fila chicken sandwich.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm moving it to a new host SheilaAnn BFlynn

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              Let us know when it's back up!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here