Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Fried Chicken Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Fried Chicken Procedure

Hey! Tomorrow is fried chicken dinner. It’s a New Years Day tradition. I am constantly looking for new ways to do it. Thoughts? I will definitely brine. I have peanut oil as my cooking oil.

I double batter my chicken. wet the skin, roll in your flour batter, then into your egg, then roll in flour batter again. I also give all the chicken pieces a quick second fry right before serving to firm up the batter.

Comment

HouseHomey Where art thou.

Comment

Here's what I do:

Brine in buttermilk seasoned they way you like it - overnight if you can, but 30 min will work in a pinch.

Place self rising flour seasoned the way you like it in a 1 gal zipper bag. Add the chix parts a few at a time. Seal the bag most of the way and inflate with a straw and finish the seal. It doesn't have to be taught like a balloon, but the chix parts need to be able to move around as you shake the bag. Place coated pieces on a wire rack in a baking tray and then dry for about 30 min . I have read that 325° to 350° is the target temp and that range works for me. I use a Thermopen to check each piece. Breasts get pulled at 158°. The rest can go a bit higher and still be juicy.

I prefer small pieces so they can cook through without over browning the coating. Large breasts, (and who doesn't like 'em that way ),are tough to cook correctly unless you cut them in half.

Don't let the breasts rest on the bottom of your pan skin side down or this will happen:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201104_184307[1].jpg Views:	125 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	966123

And if the temp is too high, the crust will get too brown:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201207_180125[1].jpg Views:	124 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	966124
        Last edited by RonB; January 2, 2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Fer me, they definitely hasta be some kinda buttermilk involved, either as an overnight (best case) or shorter marinade, or, last ditch, as parta th dredge process...

Reckon some Californy folks might use em some panko, even throw em some avacados an cilantro on top, fer th Win...mebbe even a Noice aioli...so be it...

Down home? Even breakin, some, with tradition, ah'm here to tell yall, many things cain work, asides (yawn) seasoned flour fer yer final dredge, includin Kellog's Corn Flakes, Wheaties, Post Toasties, Saltines, Ritz Crackers, Chili Cheese Fritos, Doritos, etc.

Jus reckon what ya want yer yardbird to taste like, an steer it in that there direction...

I tend to save / hoard me up some schmaltz, an deep fry yardbird in that...no worries if ya find yerself schmaltzless; use lard, tallow, bacon grease, veggie oil, shortenin, Crisco, etc. usw. etc

Acchhh!!! ..

Schmaltz is mo bettah, though...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 31, 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            Slow down Mr. Bones! I've lived in California my entire life & I have never seen or thought of having fried chicken with panko, avocados or aioli LOL. I like mine southern style!

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            In a previous life, I know I am from the deep south. While I have lived here in Southern California for 20 years, panko goes on katsu. And avocados go into guacamole!

Sadly, I do not have any schmaltz. But I do have pork fat from trimmings. Another recipe I saw stated lard, butter and country ham!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            May the Schmaltz be with you, always.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/01...fried-chicken/

i don’t use this exact recipe but close. Makes the frying step fast and there’s no guess work for internal doneness so all you have to do is get the color and crisp you want in the fry step.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; December 31, 2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried this before and it worked quite well. It's in my favorites list of recipes.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Polarbear777 I’m intrigued by the SVF (sous vide fry) procedure. Do you think you can still brine?

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I always dry brine, chicken especially. Just separate the salt and dry brine before any other step

Go to Serious Eats and search for Kenji’s fried chicken recipe. It may be found as one of the steps in the chicken Parm recipe. It is amazing!! Even with out the extras of the parm.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	47BE19A6-0A9F-4168-A14A-4E05124477FD.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	175.6 KB ID:	966160
          Click image for larger version  Name:	B13BA13D-55E5-4AA0-B405-822309FD64E6.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	774.1 KB ID:	966161Click image for larger version  Name:	E79ED196-0122-49E2-8EB7-90241371095E.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	966162
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 31, 2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Doing the same tomorrow. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are going into buttermilk tonight.

Then season with:
            2 tablespoons kosher salt
            2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
            2 teaspoons garlic powder
            1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Dredge in flour and fry. Vegetable oil or shortening and try to keep at 350. LOVE fried chicken!

Comment

I have never had good luck with true fried chicken. Always comes out greasy. I have tried 8 ways till Sunday to get it right.

I have done a very good Chef Steps Sous Vide fried chicken but that really doesn't count. Sous Vide is good but to me never the same as the real deal.

So because of that I have perfected a really good baked or Kettle fried chicken, as I post it often.

So I am looking for a really good step by step method for Actual Real Fried Chicken. SheilaAnn or a group effort... I really want to get it right some day...lol

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                RonB is spot on as usual

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                To add to Ron B. I use a lead on my thermoworks smoke, and don’t put the chicken in, until it had recovered from the last pieces.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Richard Chrz - I use my ChefAlarm. It came with a bracket that attaches a probe to the inside of the pot.

Another thought - if you pour off all but a small amount of oil and leave the bits of crunchy cooked flour in the pot, you can make great gravy by adding flour to make a roux and then add milk to make the thickness you want. A little salt and pepper wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                RonB Thank You..I will be trying soon.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                troymeister - if you are using fresh oil, you might want to add a bit of chicken stock to the gravy for added flavor. I keep a half gallon jug of oil in the refrigerator just for chicken and reuse it until I think it's time to replace it.

1. Start car and warm to 350*
              2. Drive to Popeye’s.
              3. Order the spicy.
              4. Return home
              5. Transfer chicken to plates from The PJ Collection.
              Last edited by Panhead John; December 31, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't forget the biscuits and sides.
                Pairs well with PBR.

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah! You can’t beat Popeye’s mashed taters and that Gravy! Their red beans and rice is also good, fer fast food.

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the only way you'll get good fried chicken in my house.

I drink bourbon while making it...give that a try

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Like the way you think, bourbon neat?
                Might try whiskey with ginger ale, lime, and bitters.

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                bbqLuv always neat to get the full experience

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, I nipped on Kahlua. Added it to chocolate pudding in place of dark rum.

Jeeze... do I need to make another video? I need a go pro. Hmmmm...

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Put the gopro on yur Pit Christmas list fer next year...

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                A link to a video that is already done would help.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Come on man. You know you’re the fried chicken guru here. Don’t think anyone can touch the awesome chick you put out.
                You da man Homey.

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
              https://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/01...fried-chicken/

i don’t use this exact recipe but close. Makes the frying step fast and there’s no guess work for internal doneness so all you have to do is get the color and crisp you want in the fry step.
              so I clicked through. I hate websites these days.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCB1E691-4198-4B86-B22A-9BBF37D06E2B.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	966271

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment

And I’m done now..... maturity just re-entered the building 🤣🤣🤣

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great visual for how every attempt to make fried chicken has turned out for me. For some reason, frying, is the only way I can't make chicken.

• jhoskins
                jhoskins commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that is some targeted advertising if I’ve ever seen it

SheilaAnn Let us know how your chicken turns out! Also curious to know which recipe you use. I’m like a lot of these guys, never been able to make a really good fried chicken. Hence my Popeye’s answer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here