Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey smoking trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey smoking trick

I tried something a little different this time with great success.

I spatchcock my turkey's when I smoke them.
    The breast temp I shoot for is 165°.
    The leg temp I desire is 175°.
    But while I'm waiting for the breast temp to get up to 165° the legs always over cook and become dry.

Well I tried this technic this time and though the leg temp still went over 175°, they were wonderful and juicy.

When the legs IT reaches 175°, I tore off a large piece of tinfoil and wrapped it around the whole leg area of each leg. Wasn't completely sealed on top but just enough to slow the cooking or evaporation. The legs and thighs came out amazing.
    Last edited by Joetee; December 26, 2020, 05:43 PM.

I spatchcock because I like to say "Spatchcock"! The difference between chicken versus turkey is a bigger fowl Spatchcock!
    Then at get-togethers, I may give my friends the bird, paired with PBR.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; December 27, 2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Spatchcocked alot of chickens but not a turkey. Will have to try that.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Make sure you have your tin snips handy!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        saws-all works also, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, hack saw, jigsaw, chain saw, crosscut saw,
        I think I saw it all.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here