Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¨Live blogging¨smoked chicken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

¨Live blogging¨smoked chicken.

It starts slow, that´s for sure. Birds, birds in brine. See y´all in a few hours.

What cooker are you going to use Mosca?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      BGE. I never pulled the trigger on anything else, I can't justify the cost if I'll never use it. I'd rather save the money for vacation, or someday a steel table for the Egg. BGE and Smokey Joe "side burner" is all I need.

Brine is done. I rubbed the birds with a mix of applesauce, bbq rub, and melted butter, then dotted them with butter, then on the BGE over pecan smoke @270, until the breast reads 165*.

Comment

After 1:45, I took the birds out of the pan and bumped the pit temp up to 325, I'm going to put some crispness on the skin.

Comment

Comment

Don't really recall hearing apple sauce used before.

Comment

This came out really good, very tender with a little sweet and a little smoky. Served with home made potato salad and Caprese tomatoes. John, I got the applesauce idea from The Southern Living Cookbook. The sauce is my variation on Meathead's Lexington sauce. I had a vinegary sauce made up, but I didn't like it all that much. Mrs Mosca ate it without the sauce and thought it was great.

Comment

Ahh you pulled it, that is my wife's favorite but you don't see it around too often.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                We don't pull much either.

Nice going Mosca

I'd have that BGE screaming at 400+ for chicken.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                @Jarod. 400° on the BGE is a loud whisper.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I was following a recipe, Jerod. I usually do chicken @ 350-375. That's why I bumped it at the end, I couldn't stand seeing that skin at 275.

Nice cook, Mosca ! Thinking to crank up the temp to get that skin where you wanted it looks like the stroke of genius for those birds. I like pulled chicken, too, as long as my (gloved) fingers can stand the heat!

I loved your comment about only needing a BGE and a Smokey Joe side burner.

Kathryn

Comment

Today was the best part, as I always take leftovers into our small workplace, and everyone is saying, "Holy heck, this is awesome! How did you get it so moist, so flavorful?"

for those who just want to eat, I tell them that I know what I'm doing on the grill. For those who want to duplicate it, I give them the link to Amazing Ribs!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here