Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken dry on outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken dry on outside

Hi, when I smoke chicken breasts by the time they are the correct internal temp the outside is very dry and unpleasant to eat. The bad part is they are boneless skinless, don't even start with the comments. That's what the husband eats. I put salt or rub on the night before. I've even tried putting a pan of water in the smoker.
    I'm using a mak 2 star.
    I've been married 21 years tomorrow so the option of finding a new husband is not a good one. 😀

Thank you,
    Patty

Try cooking them hotter, 325 or so, and taking them off when they're 160-165 IT. A quicker cook dries the exterior less. If they're skinless, a wet brine of 1 Gal water, 1 C table salt, 1 C white sugar, for 1 Hr will work wonders. Heck, it's even good with skin-on pieces.

Comment

Hmmm... I'd cook it indirect at about 225/250° to 150°. Then if you want to sear it a little at the end, pull it off the grill and let your fire heat up, baste it with whatever type of sauce your hubby likes and caramelize it a little bit just to add another layer of flavor and to make it look pretty.

Skinless chicken breasts are so bland if you don't do something to add flavor. I marinade mine over night. Then while they are baking in my BGE I baste them a few times to add layers of the Asian marinade i use.

I prefer to use skin on, bone in thighs though.
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 1, 2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Chicken thighs... Marinaded overnight. Cooked at 225 until they reach 165°. Then cooked under medium direct heat to finish them at 180/190°. I baste them with more of the marinade to add another layer of flavor and to caramelize the surface some. Thighs need to be cooked to a higher temp so they come off the bone easier.
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 1, 2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies. I'll try wet brining. I'm afraid if I cook them at the 325 temp suggestion that I won't have any smoke flavor.
          I've baked cookies, cakes and last weekend cream puffs and Eclairs in the mak 2star and none tasted smokey. The bottom heat is the only issue when baking in the mak and I've tried several ways to raise the pans.
          Patty

Comment

you will have no problem getting the smoke flavor cooking it as Huskee recommends.

Comment

Spray with water during the cooking process. I've got one of those oil sprayers that you pump it up to get pressure. Works great for water or apple juice. And my finger doesn't get tired! That helps for smoke to absorb and keeps away the chicken jerky! I'd wet brine too, but I cut the time and salt in half. I think chicken breast gets the texture of lunch meat from a salty brine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here