Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fried turkey question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried turkey question

I ordered a 6 gallon Cajun Fryer, should have it in a few weeks. I want to fry a turkey, but had a question about the oil. All I’ve ever heard of people using to fry a turkey is peanut oil. But 6 gallons of peanut oil is fairly expensive. My Costco carries clear frying oil which is made from soybeans, it has the same smoke point as peanut. And it’s fine to use for fried chicken. So I don’t see why I couldn’t use it for turkey, unless there’s a different reason I don’t know to use peanut.

So, is regular soybean oil with some anti foaming additives OK for frying a turkey?

I would say yes, but I have to preface this with "never dunnit". You just want a high smoke point 425+.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in the same boat as Huskee. Never done it but pretty positive it'll be fine.

• Killa J
      Killa J commented
      Editing a comment
      It says 450, so good to go

We fry several every year and have used everything from peanut oil to lard. We now just head to the local store and grab the cheap vegetable oil.
    Last Thanksgiving we fried 11 plus smoked 3. Had 3 fryers going at once.

Comment

• Killa J
      Killa J commented
      Editing a comment
      I was really thinking about using lard. I’ve read enough bad stuff about seed oils to want to avoid it. But seems like draining and cleaning would be awful

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Cleanup wasn’t that bad. We just let it re-solidify and spooned it out then heated the pan just enough to melt the rest out. Was actually easier getting rid of the solid fat vs liquid oil IMO.
      Word of advice, do two small birds vs one large...14-16 lb birds do the best.

Bookmarked this here quite a spell back, comes in handy A Lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa...f_cooking_oils

Comment

I’m surprised lard has so low a smoke point. I have a lot of beef tallow, but nowhere near enough to fill the new fryer. It’s my favorite oil now.

Comment

I do 3-4 every year sometime 5, tried them all, only use peanut oil now. We like the flavor better, I inject them with Cajon, spice mix. Walmart sell's it in 3 gallon container's. You can re-use it a few more time's, for other things. be sure the bird is completely thawed out. Take's 4-5 days in the frig.

Comment

fried many a turkey here in lousiana..always used cottonseed oil..can be hard to find here at times
          i no longer fry..i buy a fresh turkey..brine it overnite with salt ..kosher..and water with a lot of ice overnite in my yeti...rinse it off pat it dry /dry..inject it ..cover it with paul prudhome poultry season under the skin and on top of skin..cut a green apple and put it in the cavaity..use a drip pan with apple juice on set plat and cook it on the green egg...very moist and tastey...
          i will try it on my masterbuilt gravity soon..have also cooked it this way on a gas grill ..with one change put the bird direct in drip pan with onions/bell peppers/celery bed with lots of chicken stock..also good...i guess i fried so many just became tired of doing it

Comment

• Killa J
            Killa J commented
            Editing a comment
            We always have 2 turkeys every year for Thanksgiving. One roasted the traditional way, but brined with apple juice and bourbon. And salt obviously. The second turkey varies, I’ve done a few smoked and a few fried. Usually just roasted with different seasonings. I decided I wanted a big fryer for fries and fish at the same time, and it’s been a few years since I’ve done a fried turkey. I’m going to dry brine and no injection on this one.

sounds great
          there was a time we all got together had a few drinks and we would fry as many as 30 birds..we always had shrimp boils/crawfish boils so big pots on a burner is not a issue ..most all have one..sadly i find peanut oil ..o heck any for that matter go off taste after about 6 birds..always had several pots cooking at same time...
          i cannot stress enough never ever lower a frozen bird in hot oil....serious harm to you and possible burn down the neighborhood...
          . i always only use a fresh bird..inject it..zero need to add season to outside skin..servers no purpose in hot oil...i have lifted skin and cover it with paul prudhome poultry season and pin the skin back with toothpicks...i do not care much for the grease less fryers...fried turkey is mighty good...after a few 100 ..had to go in a different direction...i do at times still fry one if someone request it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here