Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatheads turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatheads turkey

i know i saw a video or article on Meatheads smoking a turkey at 325 and he had a drip pan under it with (i think ) chicken broth, bay leaf, celery and what ever! been all over the site and can not find it. i did use the search. HELP

I searched for "Thanksgiving" and this popped up:

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      That's it! Thanks.

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW i think that's it. i put in meatheads turkey. THANKS

I've made this three or four times. Even though I do it in the oven, it really is special.

Comment

I use this recipe as the basis for my turkey .... and it's awesome. I actually think the smoked gravy is what makes it so special!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife despises smoky gravy. So I had to use an alternate method. It's posted somewhere on the site - more of a traditional stuffed approach, but done outside with mild smoke.

This was originally written based on using a BGE, but it's easily adapted to other cookers. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ockwell-turkey
        Last edited by EdF; November 16, 2020, 10:57 PM.

It has everything but the ingrediencies for the gravy.

Comment

found it . it came out on the print recipe THANKS EVERYONE..

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That gravy is stellar!

My turkey recipe is a Meathead/Malcom Reed blend.
        Mostly Malcom, sorry Meathead....
        The one huge difference is the amount of kosher salt used, the turkey I did last weekend there was maybe a cup of KS in the brine. The one time I put in the recommended KS the gravy was better for road brining that covering your mashed taters.
        In my pan this year, a tall boy of red beer and at the risk of sounding like a prima donna this years gravy was fantastic.

Comment

Meathead's Thanksgiving Tukey article (from the link posted earlier) is one of his best on the free side. It's right up there with the pastrami article/recipe, the brisket and the pork butt recipes too. The brisket article on the free side is the biggest reason why I started following AR and, when the Pit came into being, joined the Pit early on. The fact that Meathead gives so many free recipes, tips, and ideas away on the AR site has always amazed me. There's a lot of free stuff on the internet, but not often of that curated quality. He's a generous man, for sure.

Kathryn

Comment

Fairly certain I will do this recipe again this year. The gravy was what made it so special. I could drink the gravy from a cup its that good. If I need to thicken it up for mashed potatoes that would be easy.
            Last edited by WFO; October 28, 2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I'll be doing ten or so this year,friends and neighbors will collect on Thanksgiving day.

Comment

I've done atleast one this way since joing the site. Last year was two for our group and 3 for friends dinners. Always great results.

Comment

Couple of questions about recipe. I just finished a practice run with a 15# turkey. I used @meatheads recipe. I did not see any mention of dry brining so I did not. I also poured all of the juices from the bag into drippings pan. Then I used the wet rub under and over the skin. The one thing I forgot to do was dry the bird first. I spatchcocked the bird and it cooked at around 340 for two hours. It was temped at 175-180. It came out very moist and tender but the skin did not crisp. Which mistake or procedure caused this failure? I did not take pictures because it looked rather ugly. That’s why we practice, right? First time using a drip pan for gravy, that part seemed to come out ok, flavor was really good. Going to have to get a fat separator. What’s the best way to handle the liquid after you take the pan out?

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The skin will be hard to crisp IMHO, the three times I've smoked a turkey I've never got the skin to crisp up. No ones really made a big fuss about it.
                    For the pan drippings I pour them into a pot and put it in the freezer for a while while the turkey rests, fat congeals on top and spoon it off. Back on the burner for finishing.

One other question. If I was to do two turkeys,would I put a drip pan under each one or let the drippings fall onto one and then into pan? I am using KBQ

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I slide a hotel pan under each one. Add some water to the pan, you can reduce it once the cook is over. That smoked gravy is insanely good. Flavor packed!

I enjoy the step by step Turkey Day direction. The gravy is great. I have always smoked the turkey on a WSM Bullet. I am trying my first turkey on a Silverbac pellet smoker. Do you still use a pan for the gravy? I am looking to follow Meathead's directions and looking for advice adapting to a pellet smoker. Thanks. I really enjoy this site.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I slide a pan under the bird. Add some water to the pan, you can reduce it once the cook is over. That smoked gravy is insanely good. Flavor packed!

• Rob Reid
                    Rob Reid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m curious on how you got your WSM to 325. I’ve been low and slow so far in my WSM journey.

• DrPsmoker
                    DrPsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I always needed to add hot wood charcoals part way thru the cook. The results were always amazing,however, keeping the high temp during a cold and windy day was difficult. So, I bought a Grilla Silverbac and it turned out well this year. I thought it would be a set and leave, but I definitely needed to watch the different temps using several probes to learn the ins and outs of pellet cooking.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here