Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Price Fixing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Price Fixing

I ran across this on a financial site I frequent. I thought is was interesting, especially with the e-book Meathead just released:

Chicken price-fixing

Pilgrim's Pride (NASDAQ:PPC) has agreed to a plea deal with the U.S. Justice Department to resolve price-fixing charges, and will pay a fine of $110.5M. A guilty plea by the poultry giant will make Pilgrim's the first business to admit in court to what prosecutors have alleged was a roughly seven-year effort (from 2012 to early 2019) to inflate prices across much of the U.S. chicken industry. Current and former employees of other chicken companies, including Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN), have also been charged, and the latter has been cooperating with the government's investigation under a corporate leniency program.

How do we get our share of that $110.5 M?

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe they will send us a couple chicken wings.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Your chicken is in the mail...

I am imagining the follow up article here after we put in our collective claims.

”A group of members from the Pitmasters’ club have claimed more than 80% of the settlement dollars as they provided receipts showing they smoked more than 80% of the nation’s wings sold over the time period covered. The near-$90 million haul is reportedly being reinvested in some wagyu prime beef, wireless meat thermometers, and shipping smokers to the US from this guy they call Hank.”

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Lawyers for the Plaintiffs garnered 99.7% of the roughly 90 million dollars, leaving the affected class with a windfall of roughly .005¢ each.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      My late FIL was in on one of those asbestos suits a number of years ago. His "payment" arrived in the form of a check........48 cents. The lawyers probably did better than that.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I also heard the lawyers were planning to take 99% of it like you suggest, but fortunately, Meathead lifted up his head and raised his spatula (aka Mjölnir), and the members ended up with the monies.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here