Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, what about frozen chicken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, what about frozen chicken.

Going through the freezer. Found some packs of wings and whole (skin and bone) thighs, all vacuum sealed from the store, with use-or-freeze-by dates of 08/16/2018.

Eh. I’d be okay with beef. But chicken? It might be safe, but would it be good?

I did toss the one pack that said May of 2016.

I am really interested in others thoughts here. I have no sound reasoning with this reply other than to say that my gut would tell me to toss it.

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      It all depends on how low your freezer stay year round.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine, too.

Vacuum sealed and frozen by the freeze by date, I would take a shot at it. You should be able to tell when it thaws out.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on that. Worth a shot. You’ll know when it’s thawed.

Chest freezer that stays at 0F? It's fine. Freezer that cycles? eh.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s my side-by-side, but the Thermoworks freezer thermo has never been above 0*, and it’s usually about -5*.

If in doubt throw it out. It is too cheap to risk illness.

Comment

+1 on the advice to toss it and avoid the risk. Don't know about your area but cut/packaged thighs and drumsticks (not wings) up here is around $0.90/pound. Whole chicken is even less. Won't cost much to replace yours with chicken you can trust.

Comment

My chef wife says simply, "oh hell no".

Comment

Ok, I’ll pitch it.

Comment

My first thought, why did they stay in the freezer that long?! Second thought is cook to a high enough temp should kill any pathogens. How many pathogens will form in a frozen state?

For a long-term option, you can freeze your chicken while preserving its taste if you use a freezer safe container. If frozen in this way raw chicken can be stored for up to 2 years without losing any quality in taste or texture. See eatbydate.com

When thawed, you should be able to smell any spoilage.

Disclaimer, better safe than sorry. Use your best judgement. I am not a food safety expert.

Comment

My opinion is it's been vac packed so no freezer burn, and has been stored properly in the freezer so it's going to be sanitary. It might not have quite the savor or texture of fresher chicken, so I'd use it in a dish where the chicken is well cooked, diced or shredded, and mixed with other flavorful ingredients -- for example a chicken-veggie-dumpling soup or a chicken pot pie.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                This^.
                Thanks, Sister.

P.S. Couldn't quite help addin Yardbird tacos, or even enchiladas...

U.S.D.A. Link

Comment

The stuff with the skin on looks kind of sketchy. Altogether it’s like $20 worth of stuff. I’m pitching it.

Comment

Good Call, Brother!

Yardbird's cheap; ER no so dang dang much :

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here