Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 8-year old son nailed a Mountain-Grass-Chicken. PRICELESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 8-year old son nailed a Mountain-Grass-Chicken. PRICELESS

Jessy Alan Wolbrink

Pitmaster Junior at PuraLena in Spain.

Last weekend I discussed a Mountain-Grass-Chicken recipe with my 8-year old son. And trusted him to do the full preparation, cook and serving all by himself.
    I got him a Smokey Joe at the age of 3. So he is no novice. But for our 100th post on Intagram #PuraLeña, I wanted something different. As many of my cooks try to show the endless options of Barbecue.
    To make sure his efforts wouldn't be in vain. I choose this specal recipe. As it is nearly failsafe.
    I couldn't be prouder of the end result. And wanted to reward him with cum laude, all 10's. But he didn't agree. He rewarded himself with a 9. As there should always be room for improvements. Priceless!

See pictures with different steps. I explained him the day before and gave him all the ingredients. The rest is in the pictures.

I hope anyone could give him a big thumbs up on our page. As I want his first and most liked internet memory be a positive one.

Tanks all for reading and watching and see comments about the recipe.

Preparing vegetables, carrot, etc. From soup package.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_160614.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	920269

Moisture hay in water. Not difficult to find herbal hay. We just borrowed it from our Chinchila pet. LOL.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_161546.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	920270

Make a nest in a large size Dutch oven. This will steam and prevent bottom of bird from burning.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_171027.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	920271

Marinate the chicken. Used some pumpkin seed oil.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_171634.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	920272

Finished with some spices at his choice and amount. For taste and colour.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_172210.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	920273

Grind some old and dry herbs.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_172456.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.66 MB ID:	920274

Added some cider for flavour and likely to avoid me from drinking it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_172727.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.27 MB ID:	920275

Place oven on Weber, where I did help him out with the 9-quart.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_172932.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	920276

Place briquetes on lid.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_173016.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	920277

Present your Pitmaster-Junior stance.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_192924.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	920278

Wait, wait, app 2 hours and Hoorah. Magic done!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201004_193016.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	920279

Continued in next reply.
    Last edited by PuraLena; October 5, 2020, 08:06 PM.

Add some more memorable pictures.

​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_193617.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	920353
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_193639.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	920354

Name:	20201004_193730.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	920355
    ​

Start carving and check doneness without termometer.
    ​
    ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_194346.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	920356

Name:	20201004_194358.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	920357

And enjoy the Pitmasters privileges.

Name:	20201004_194523.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	920358​

Thanks for watching this great Father-Son experience.

And please don't forget to award him by liking/sharing is efforts on #PuraLeña social networks.

Not sure if tis is against the administration rules. But still risk to ask.
    I really want to see this result whenever in a future people do an internet search for him.
    As there is nothing better than your most popular post being a postive one.

Want him to learn all tricks of the trade. And join me whenever legally allowed.

Beware Meathead! Jessy Alan Wolbrink is preparing for a show-off!
    Last edited by PuraLena; October 6, 2020, 01:44 AM. Reason: Hopefully pictures are now vivible to all.

Comment

• Phil Averbuck
      Phil Averbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Kid's a natural! That great attitude and concentration shines through. Congrats to father and son both!!

Another pitmaster into the fold. Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
      Another pitmaster into the fold. Nice!!
      Yes, probably the 2nd one in the center of Spain!

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-10-06 041303.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	920296

Comment

I'm trying to think back to when I can remember cooking outdoors with a family member and can't pin it down, I think it had to be fish because I remember back to 5yrs old fishing with adults, but I can't remember grilling until my teens.... your son will never have that problem For general cooking in my house from 10 up, you made yourself a sandwich at best, maybe some boxed mac n cheese... another problem your young man won't have. So awesome! Nothing like bonding over something everyone is passionate about!!! (And something that will directly affect day to day life, so many people don't know how to cook from scratch these days)

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          Excactly. It is sad that many people now need a plastic bag too cook a chicken. It was a great and memorable weekend for both of us.

Looks like the Briquette does not fall from the Pit.
        He makes you proud.

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never regretted in buying im a Smokey Joe, instead of a Plastic Childrens Weber with LED lights.
          Never had any issues with fire, cuts or whatsoever.

Well done sir, at 8 yrs old I would have cut at least 2 fingers, burnt my forearm and set the hay on fire haha

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          He knows I can shave off chips of my nails. So he respects them.
          He even uses his knuckles to guide the knife while cutting. The gloves are just more a way of relaxing him. So he can concentrate more on his product cuts than be afraid of hurting himself.

Very impressive! Good idea with the cut resistant gloves for chopping vegetables. Your pics in post #2 aren’t showing up for me.

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I will review post. Please comment if they are visible now.
          Last edited by PuraLena; October 6, 2020, 01:47 AM.

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes they are visible now PuraLena . Great pics!

• Driverdan
          Driverdan commented
          Editing a comment
          I, too, am a Dalstrong knife user!

Marvelous! And it’s great that he enjoys it. BTW the pics of finished product had trouble, didn’t see them. Good work Dad. Great cook Son!

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          Guess you can see them now. Thanks for your response. I sure hope that I canmake him change his mind about wanting to become a 'Youtube' gamer. Similar like most of us would probably be wanting to become firefighters(LOL) at his age.
          No, I hope he finds out himself what exceptional skills he has. And that he would make the better choice in making some kind of cooking channel in Spanish and later English.
          He would surely have a better chance to get noticed by the mass viewers and followers.

That is absolutely fabulous. Pitmaster Junior stance is priceless! This fellow is a STAR! He deserves to be in "Hot from the Pit" newsletter. I would love to see post #2 pics if you can make them work. Congrats! Looking forward to some more cooks by this Master of the Pit! 🍗❣🎈🎉

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, it would be the an enormous honour for his efforts. And become an inspiration for many other kids, and even fathers to bond and learn.
          I would surely hang it up our wall in the office! let's hope meathead and co agree and award him a spot!
          And we usually started with filling a bucket of water for burns. Though they never occured in his 5-year career. LOL.
          Probably same as umbrellas, aspirins, tampons and condoms. Only need them when you don't carry them.
          Last edited by PuraLena; October 6, 2020, 04:31 PM.

This is so great!

Comment

• PuraLena
          PuraLena commented
          Editing a comment
          It sure is. And with a hammock and a beer I enjoy life far more then holding lines in amusement parks, stadiums, fast food etc.

Another reason for this cook is that I want him to start a outube channel with cooking info. And hopefully draw him away from the o so common desire to become a youtube-gamer. Hey, we played with sticks, but all respected each other. We didn't kill or get killed and just started over again. Surreal!

Video below is is review. It's in Spanish, but I am sure many of you will understand it. Even just by looking at it.

Last edited by PuraLena; October 6, 2020, 01:57 AM.

Comment

So good. Thank you for sharing. They grow up so quick. You will remember this for a lifetime.

Comment

• PuraLena
            PuraLena commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes they do, just above in another reply I relaised he already has a 5 year carreer up his sleeves. He has his own Smokey Joe for over 5 years now. But grilled long before that. So maybe more time than some others among us.
            Last edited by PuraLena; October 6, 2020, 04:26 PM.

Awesome pics,,,,,great cook and looks like you have a rising culinary super star on ur hands !!!!!!

Comment

• PuraLena
            PuraLena commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I just hope he realizes his skills and start liking the rewarding feeling of being special. And that he makes his own choices.

Thanks all.

He was doing things at the age of 3, that even grownups still keep asking.

No, no towel nothing just work your way under the silverskin in the centre. And then lift it up slowly. Ripping it off to both ends.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2016-01-04 11.43.09.jpg Views:	34 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	920368
          Last edited by PuraLena; October 6, 2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here