Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scald to get chicken skin crisp in smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scald to get chicken skin crisp in smoker

I just read a post on another forum claiming a quick 30 second scald in boiling water will help crisp chicken shin when cooking it in the smoker. It was a Chinese Lady who claims she has used it for years and never had the rubbery skin problem.
    I am doing chicken legs for Supper but unfortunately already have them dry brining so won't be able to test it out.
    Anyone ever heard of or tried this method?

That's a technique commonly used on duck, which has wayyy more fat than chicken, but I could see it working. I'd just dry brine and leave uncovered in the fridge for a few days to get good crispy chicken skin

Comment

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to it, I have used the boiling water on duck and it sure helps get the skin crispy so I don't see why you couldn't do it with chicken

I have seen several places that steam them first too. It’s to help render the fat out.

Comment

- Back in the late 70's thru the mid 80's we lived in Japan there was a chicken place called Nobi BBQ. The chicken was outstanding. You had to wear an OBA or Scott Air Pack to eat inside the place was so smokey.
      - At the time my wife wore many hats in the base Recreation Department (youth/teen center director, youth sports director, high school cafeteria etc...) All of the activites were funded but Youth Sports.
      - To raise money for youth sports my wife would muster a group of folks to attend the Bon-A- Dori festivals in Yokosuka, Negishi and Nagai where they would cook up American food while many JN's were preparing there dishes. At one of the Bona-A-Dori's Nobi BBQ attended. Owner (Ishiwatasan)spoke much better English than I Japanese.
      - He passed the following to me:
      Pour boiling water over the meat (careful don't overcook the meat). Skin should start to shrink a bit and turns more translucent than usual skin color.
      Dry the skin and spray with oil. I have used vegetable oil, PAM, Duck Fat and in a pinch Weber Grilling Spray.
      This has worked for me. Cook in the 370°-425° range and the skin crisps up just fine.
      I have not done it in a while. I just use my Holland Grill it crisps up chicken skin like a potato chip.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I took note of this process.
        Thanks for information.

Why not scald after brining?
      Just a thought.

Comment

I don't know, man. This feels like a slippery slope to the terrorists winning.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Terrorists are always going to lose. Always. No winky guy. Just the facts.
          Last edited by Cheef; October 1, 2020, 04:07 PM.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheef, please take my comment with the good-natured irony with which it was intended. Sorry if that was lost on you.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. not much gets lost on me.

One thing a chicken plant deals with, is having the scolding vats hot enough to loosen the feathers on the wings, but not so hot that they render out too much subcutaneous fat under the breast skin and reduce the weight (read "yield") with the whole birds. It's a happy medium that no one is ever happy with, just ask the wing packers or the GPM over the Whole Bird Line.

With that said, the hardest skin to crisp is the skin with the most fat under it, so if over-scolding the bird gets it I say go for it. I've seen enough over-scolded carcasses in my lifetime that I'll do without.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I think all that scolding is the problem. Try talking a little nicer to them and see if you get better results.

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. Visions of chickens with a hang-dog look and a subdued "I'm sorry" clucking sound.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here