Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Thigh Rub Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Thigh Rub Experiment

Dry brined overnight. All got John Henry Pecan Rub. Two on the left got Simply Marvelous Cherry. The ones on the right got The Slabs Birds and Bones Stephy Style. The back ones got a little Oakridge Habanero Death Dust. Cooking at 325. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200922_132801770.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	914842Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200922_133331937_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	914843
    Last edited by tedsalt; September 22, 2020, 01:15 PM.

THis is gonna be good. Make sure to report back! The Slabs is great stuff and I love anything Oak Ridge BBQ.

I have heard great things about John Henry's, I have just never had it before.

Looking forward to your results.

Comment

Probably could have put them on the gasser to crisp up the skin a little, or cooked them on the Weber kettle using indirect / direct crisp, but they're up to temp anyhow. Maybe next time I'll plan that a little better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200922_142225553.jpg Views:	4 Size:	4.08 MB ID:	914848
      Last edited by tedsalt; September 22, 2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

The title of this thread brings rather naughty ideas to mind. I'll stop there.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          There was a chicken restaurant on the left coast many years ago that had billboards that read "A leg in your hand will put a smile on your face". Thanx for the reminder IowaGirl.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I will say that after learning just how chickens like their thighs rubbed, egg production goes up..

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Great minds think alike -- good to know I'm not alone!

I used to eat at Stroud's Restaurant at their original location at 85th and Troost in Kansas City, Missourah. The restaurant became famous from their most excellent fried chicken and the wait staff wore tees with Stroud's motto "We choke our own chickens".

Not sure if they still do -- it's been years since I've been in KC -- but I still remember that. And remember the chicken; it was real tasty.

In the end they were all good but would have been better with crispy skin. My better half liked Pecan / The Slabs, and Pecan / SM Cherry with a little HDD. I liked them all, but preferred them with the sprinkling of HDD
        Last edited by tedsalt; September 22, 2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I cook skin on chix indirect just about as hot as my Kettle will go using a Vortex. 450° is not uncommon. That will give you nicely chrisped skin.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber Vortex Up.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	915034
          the chicken setup...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here