Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings...Dry brine or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings...Dry brine or not?

Probably a stupid question but am I missing out on not dry brining wings? Never had in the past....just kind of curious what the consensus was here.

I do sometimes. Not a big deal but it can help to dry out the skin so it crisps up better.

Comment

I never do. I just air dry them in the fridge for several hours, then hit them with whatever spice rub I’m in the mood for right before going on the grill. I used to wet marinate them overnight but had a hard time getting them at all crispy so I quit that.
      Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 19, 2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I always dry brine mine. Try it once and then you will know how it works for you...

Or brine half one time and compare.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          great idea. wish I thought of that.

If I remember and plan ahead, I do. And I use Seriouseats.com method with baking powder added in for a rest in the fridge. Turns up some really good wings.

But, the times I haven’t done this, they were pretty good as well.

Comment

I dry brine mine. I mix the rub 4:1 with baking powder, toss on the wings, and let them sit overnight.

May not be a neseccary step..... But the wings have been good so I'm not changing it

Comment

Thx for the advice...I have to cook them tonight, so I'm gonna dry brine for a few hours and see how it goes. I forgot about the Serious Eats method w/ baking soda....next time.

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve even done a short brine with the baking powder. I figure any time is better that none! But enjoy those wings regardless of how you go!

I don't if using a salt rub and have even started them semi frozen this way.
            I always get good crispy skin and moist meat using a vortex. If you do a lot of wings and don't own a vortex you need to get one.
            The high temps achieved does a good job on wings.

Comment

I usually don’t bother, I’ll just spread them out on a tray in the fridge to air dry.

Comment

I had enough time to dry brine for about 2 hours...1 hour indirect on the Weber gas grill with some oak chips in the beginning...nice crispy skin and the meat was very tender. Thx for all the advice. My wife wanted more, but the kids beat her to it. Another couple of dozen going on today for our stay at home tailgate! GO CARDS!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here