Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal Weber Grill and Beer Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal Weber Grill and Beer Butt

Happy Saturday night ! So right now I'm trying to smoke 2 chickens on a Weber Grill. Got the temp up to around 350+degrees, then put 2 birds on indirect heat, and the Weber temp went to 200 degrees, and that's where I am right now . What is true truth? I want to have the temp around 325 degrees for this --- so what's the actual temp?

You just put a lot of cold meat in there. It will take several minutes to heat back up.

Comment

Are you looking at the temp gauge on the lid? If so, that will drop like a rock as sook as you open the lid. It will come back up in time. If not, open the vents! For next time, get a Vortex. Turns your kettle into a chicken machine.

Comment

So right now it's gone back up to 230. Been on 20 minutes. That make sense ? All vents are open ! Thank you , by the way.

Comment

Other comments are correct. Two full chickens both probably at 38-40 degrees will drop the temp. It’ll take time to come back up.

Comment

1st of all, GUNS UP !!!

So w/the 2 cold chickens on the Weber, the highest the temp got was 250 degrees. After an hour and 15 minutes, I put more charcoal in, but after looking at the birds, I decided to check the temp of the birds w/ an instant-read (Maverick). Both birds were more than done.

So, I'm not really sure what I learned on this one. The easy answer is to get the temp to 325 degrees or so, put the birds on, wait 1 1/4 hours, and start checking the temp of the birds, forgetting what the thermometer says on the kettle top. I'm all ears and eyes if you have some additional thoughts . Just confused on what the real temperature of the grill was.

Comment

I think the question here is how you are checking the temperature of the grill. Are you measuring the grate level temperature with a clip on thermometer like a Dot, Smoke, Maverick, etc. Or are you reading the dome temperature? The analog dome thermometer on a Weber kettle can be off 50 to 100 degrees from the temperature at the grate, and it usually reads hotter than the grate level temp.

When I do chicken on the kettle, I put about a half chimney of lit charcoal on top of a half chimney of unlit in the Slow 'N Sear, and then run with all vents wide open - the indirect zone runs around 350 for the full cook.

Comment

Read the dome temperature the whole way jfmorris ; don't have any of the other stuff. To your point, it had to have been AT LEAST 70 degrees. off. Those birds were ready to take off probably a little over an hour.

I'm wondering .... the birds were right up next to the thermometer at the top of the lid. Since the birds were cool when they went on the grill, it may well have distorted the real temperature.

I DO have a Slow -n - Sear, and like your way, but I would like to know how to properly read my grill.

Comment

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely need a thermo at the grate level to truly know what the temp is where the food is at. If using the SnS make sure the dome thermo is over it and not the food. You want the heat pulled towards the food and up and out the top vent.

You need a thermometer at grate level. If you don’t want to spend a lot, a ThermoWorks Dot would work, I’d recommend a ThermoWorks Smoke though or any of the other reputable multi channel thermometers.

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, dome thermometers are notoriously craptastic.
                  I’m not sure why they bother. Probe ports would be much better.
                  Last edited by surfdog; August 30, 2020, 07:47 PM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect shirt.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                I think the question here is how you are checking the temperature of the grill. Are you measuring the grate level temperature with a clip on thermometer like a Dot, Smoke, Maverick, etc. Or are you reading the dome temperature? The analog dome thermometer on a Weber kettle can be off 50 to 100 degrees from the temperature at the grate, and it usually reads hotter than the grate level temp.

When I do chicken on the kettle, I put about a half chimney of lit charcoal on top of a half chimney of unlit in the Slow 'N Sear, and then run with all vents wide open - the indirect zone runs around 350 for the full cook.
                That's how I do it with my SnS using the Maverick for grill-level temp. NO water in the reservoir. Getting ready to try Malcom's Spicy Mississippi Chicken recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here