Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy - BBQ Hack Skewer Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy - BBQ Hack Skewer Hack

I’ve been wanting to try out BBQ Hack’s Skewer Hack for a while as I also own their Spatula (Which is phenom for smash burgers). Mission accomplished.

Fired up chicken shawarma for the inaugural cook. Came out fantastic with one general note for next time: Because there is so much meat between the outside and center, the outside will burn before the meat at center come up to temp. So most likely need to cut off the meat as I go, just like they do with those vertical rotiserries.

I have a pork butt in my freezer that has Al Pastor written all over it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cosmo; August 23, 2020, 06:15 PM.

I don't think I'd do chicken that way 'cause I wonder if under temp juices would leak out...

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      I don't think I'd do chicken that way 'cause I wonder if under temp juices would leak out...
      Not sure I follow? Do you mean starting to cut off the outside pieces while the internal still not at temp? If you have plate right underneath, you cut down one side and it lands directly on plate. No juices would touch, but if you are talking about in general, wouldn’t the temp of the juice be higher/ok than temp of meat?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        First - I am not sure. But if the juices from the inner portion of the chicken are not hot enough is it possible for them to contaminate surface meat as they leak out? Or do those juices come up ato temp as they migrate to the surface? Personally, I would not slice from the outer side until I knew the answers. Beef, pork, and lamb should not be a problem, but I would be concerned about chicken.
        Maybe Jerod Broussard has an answer?
        Last edited by RonB; August 23, 2020, 09:29 PM.

Good question - I had always assumed the shawarma places with the vertical rotisseries would have same issue and therefore not much risk but I could be completely wrong

Comment

I thought that the meat coming off these things was then given a quick fry to kill any nasties still floating around?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here