Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazy wings. Awfully simple but wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy wings. Awfully simple but wrong?

I buy the huge bags of frozen wings from costco and have an elaborate preparation approach. Thaw and if in a rush wet brine thaw. Dry. Cook over gasser or coals till browned, baptize in butter/hot sauce (or bbq sauce for the kids), grill, repeat last step. Excellent results.

Then I got lazy because I just wanted a dozen (for me). So I tossed them in soud vide 160F for 90 minutes. Dried, stuck them under the broiler (turning once to brown), took them out and dunked them once in the sauce and back under the broiler and turned the oven off after a couple minutes. Dang if they weren’t 90%+ as good as the elaborate approach. Tough to cook 60-80 that way (my normal batch size) But it was super easy. As an outdoor grill guy I have to admit to being A little embarrassed
    Last edited by fracmeister; August 22, 2020, 04:30 PM.

Not sure there is a "Thou shalt only cook outside." commandment. Sounds like you enjoyed them almost as much as your normal method. If you enjoyed them and it fed your hunger, win-win chicken wing din.
    Last edited by JimLinebarger; August 22, 2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Wings! Anytime, anywhere, anyhow. Wings are never wrong!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      You got that right. 🔥

I watched a new "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" from last night and the chef wet brined the wings, braised the wings in the brine for 90 minutes, then fried them and tossed them in butter and hot sauce. Guy seemed to like them. So, I think you're good.

Comment

I "hate" it when that happens though I’m always better off.

Oh man, your embarrassing comment is spot on!

Then I think about it and laugh at myself. I had a moment last week and still haven’t told anyone. I’m still confused about the result.

Funny post.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re just confused period 😁

Did wings last night, I never think to take pics, too busy eating, I'll challenge fracmeister for lazy. 1.5kgs of wings, sprinkle with 4 tsps of baking powder, mix through and let stand for 2 hrs. Into oven @ 200C for 20mins & turn for another 20mins. Boil down Stubbs BBQ sauce with Coke until thickened, dunk wings in sauce, back in oven for 10mins each side and enjoy. Wings magically disappear

Comment

• Schwyy
        Schwyy commented
        Editing a comment
        so many times after I eat something that was great I always go..... Doh, I forgot to take a picture for the club

Lazy??? Heck - you cooked! That ain’t lazy!

Comment

are you submitting them as your competition entry in the Buffalo New York chicken wing contest? if so then absolutely yes you are lazy!

are you just eating them cause you want to crush some wings.... then absolutely not lazy!

Comment

Thaw in Brine, what an interesting idea! Alot of frozen items/meat come brined/salt added. I am gong to give it a try anyways.

On another note, you said, "As an outdoor grill guy I have to admit to being A little embarrassed." And you posted it anyway. So thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here