Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC "fried" chicken results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC "fried" chicken results

Inspired by the post from tdimond (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ken-experiment) and the original video from Ballistic BBQ, I decided to make a fried chicken on my PBC.

I took 6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs and brined them overnight in buttermilk with some salt and spices. Then I tossed them with flour, cornstarch, spices and a drizzle of the buttermilk in the flour mixture to get it chunkier, a method I got from Kenji at Serious Eats

Then onto the PBC with no rebar. Skin side up for the first thirty minutes.

Then I brushed any dry spots with some oil before flipping it skin side down until I hit 185 of my thermometer. I didn't adjust my vent opening which is around 1/4 open (maybe a bit less). The PBC ran around 380-390 during the cook which took about 40-45 minutes.

End result was really good. Got good smokiness from the PBC, super juicy and crispy texture similar to fried chicken. It def. was not as crispy as regular fried chicken but the taste more than made up for it. The skin underneath the crust was still a little soggy, so next time I may try 2 things, 1) a batch with no skin and just the dredge and 2) flipping earlier to skin side down to maximize the time its facing the coals and see if I can't crisp it up even more.

Edit: saw the note about pictures not uploading - will edit with pics when functionality is restored
    Last edited by shify; August 12, 2020, 04:58 PM.

Pictured added!!!

Chicken thighs post brine/dredge

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	895622

Going on the PBC

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	895627

First side done, about to flip. I lightly dabbed the dry spots with oil pre-flip

Name:	IMG_2739.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	895626

Finished product:

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	895623

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	895625

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	895624

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That yardbird looks delicious!
      Ahm’a have taken try this out in my 22.5” kettle, see if’n I can come anywhere close to replicatin yer results...

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Could spritz with oil instead of brush if you gots an oil spritzer. I was going to try it running between 425° and 450° F since I have a DigiQ with fan. I also have a 4 hole dome damper installed to help get to those temps with the lid on.

Did another batch today. This time I tested three versions of the PBC fried chicken thighs:
    - Bone in, skin on
    - Bone in, skinless
    - boneless skinless

The boneless, skinless were the worst. Since they cooked much quicker, the coating didn’t get as crispy or as brown as I wanted (see 2nd pic)

the bone in, skinless was better but I lost a lot of the curst when flipping. (compare the two in the bottom pic)

The bone in, skin on were clear winners even though the skin underneath the crust was still not that crispy. But the meat itself was much juicier and the crust stayed in tact.

The general recipe stayed the same. Roughly 8 hr brine in seasoned buttermilk and then dredged in a flour and cornstarch mixture. Cooked on PBC for about 30 min for boneless and 40-45 min for bone in, flipping halfway through.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E5B1BE54-7098-4CDC-B2CA-3192C8A4EF4E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	937616

Click image for larger version  Name:	D28F1298-36E4-46C0-8937-78039CC2661A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	937613

Click image for larger version  Name:	8C99CF72-C2B8-461E-B60C-5C4A07F46574.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	937615

Click image for larger version  Name:	899AFF54-1867-4211-A5C4-7FBF27300C26.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	937614

Last edited by shify; November 10, 2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Good enough to eat
      You Done Good.

Comment

Interesting write up, something I'm definitely going to try.
        As I've said here KFC is like swallowing napalm for me so finding a good fried chicken recipe for our smoker would be great news.
        Big thing to find here would be buttermilk, I haven't seen that around in 50 years. My father loved buttermilk, every rural dairy he saw he stopped at looking for buttermilk. Sadly the day of the rural dairy has been over for years around here.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Jus make ya some buttermilk, it's easy as can be...milk, lemon juice
          No more relyin on local Dairies.

Poof. Th world's yer oyster, again, Brother!

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          A little lemon juice or vinegar in some milk will work in a pinch, but if you can get your hands on the real stuff, it is worth it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here