Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "fried" chicken experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "fried" chicken experiment

I decided to do a chicken experiment that was inspired by a couple of different posts. The first was "fried" chicken on the PBC, https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...etter-than-kfc. The second was this one, https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...before-the-70s, where a discussion of the KFC pressure cooker led to a link to the leaked KFC original recipe that appeared in the Chicago Tribune in 2016. So I decided to try combining the two, using a Weber kettle and vortex.

I followed the PBC chicken recipe for the flour and Panko and baking powder, then substituted the KFC spices for the flavoring. I then followed the corn starch, club soda, flour mixture double battering technique. I used chicken thighs for this cook.

I used a full chimney to fuel the vortex in the kettle, and put the thighs on right after dumping the coals.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200801_174909.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	890371

Then I put the lid on and let them go for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I flipped them and let them go another 10 minutes. The thighs were then probing at about 190-195, so I pulled them. (Besides, the kids were getting hungry).

Here's the final result:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200801_184456.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	890372

After this cook, there are a few things I would do differently. There were some dry spots on the batter at the flip, and I could not find a spray bottle to save my life. So I need to make sure I have it next time. I think a club soda spritz would be most appropriate for this recipe.

The second was the amount of spices that went into the flour/panko/baking powder. I had learned this once with fried vs roasted turkey and was reminded by this cook - roasting doesn't need as much spice, since you're not losing spices to the oil. The next time around, I'm going to scale down the KFC spices. The chicken was too peppery for the kids' tastes. The KFC recipe calls for tablespoons, and I'm going to try teaspoons instead in the same proportions.

The third was to change the club soda more often. I'm wondering if the drier pieces didn't react as much with the club soda since a few had preceded them in the wash and had already reacted with the cornstarch.

I think this is going to be a real winner once I get the spices dialed in. I'd rate it a solid B at the moment.

Yum!

Comment

Looks good! I need to bookmark this to give it a try sometime!

Comment

Looks good. Wanted to try this too and glad to see the detail you provided.

I saw a Cooks Country/ATK video on grilled fried wings and they brushed any dry spots with oil so that might work better than a club soda spritz.

Comment

Looks good!!

Comment

Looks good. Keep us posted as to your refinements.

Comment

I did something similar with some frozen wings the other night. I didn't notice when I bought the bag of wings that they were "enhanced", so even though they'd been in the fridge uncovered for 36 hours or so they hadn't dried out at all. So I made up a dredge with cornstarch, flour, and rub and threw 'em on the kettle with the Vortex. I hit 'em with cooking spray after about 10 minutes and again when I turned them. They turned out super crispy without really having a heavy crust, and they stayed crispy even after being sauced and cooling down. It's definitely a technique I'm going to play with a bit more.

Comment

This was interesting..
                Thanks!

Comment

When that recipe leaked, they questioned the tablespoons vs teaspoons in it due to the handwriting some places quote it as teaspoons, others tablespoons.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here