Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock Chicken

Been using the brine recipe from over on the free site, and the chicken has been turning out fantastic. So juicy. Does anyone have a brine (or injection) recipe for a good citrus tasting chicken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6536F2A6-8ACC-4923-ABE9-417A62F1B34E.jpeg
Views:	522
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	886894Click image for larger version

Name:	F524369C-0FAD-46AE-8F5E-485DE8D45021.jpeg
Views:	452
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	886895Click image for larger version

Name:	01A4154D-7D66-4DC2-B2FE-B289685C6CF1.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	886896

Looks fantastic! What did you cook it on?

Comment

Great lookin' chicken!

Comment

• Dfusco
        Dfusco commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Primo XL with FOGO Charcoal and a mix of Hickory and Cherry wood. Used a direct/indirect set up. Indirect at 350 for about an hour. I forget what is in the rub, I think it was a KC Rib rub that I made a while back. It was very good.

One other thing, I was at a BBQ class a few weeks back, and they told me that they use Springer Mountain Farm chickens for competition. (It was a ribs and brisket class, but they cooks some awesome chicken legs for us) Fortunately the grocery stores around here carry them, and the chicken is very good. Not a whole lot of fat under the skin. Actually, you can see through the skin on a lot of the chicken.

Comment

I wet brine using lemonade (and salt). I use the powdered mix and mix it a little stronger than when you drink it. I like the resulting flavor- the wife, not so much.

Comment

• Dfusco
          Dfusco commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s interesting. I’m hoping for more of an orange taste. My wife and son would probably like the lemon flavor.
          Thanks for the idea.

This is a nice base wet rub for chicken:

1/4 cup olive oil
        Zest & juice of one lemon
        4-6 cloves garlic
        rosemary
        salt
        pepper
        1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Chop the garlic and rosemary fine enough that a stick blender will blitz it up, and then blitz it up with said stick blender. If you don't have a stick blender, just chop everything up fine and whisk it together. Rub the chicken down and make sure to get the rub under the skin on the breasts and thighs. Don't roll heavy smoke on this, it overpowers the rub.

Comment

• Dfusco
          Dfusco commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good. I may try this on the next one. Thanks for sharing!

So I just won a Masterbuilt 140S Pellet smoker and one of the main things I want to try is smoked chicken and looking for recipes here. Would this same setup work for a smoker? Finish it on the grill? Anyone point me in the right direction for a good smoker recipe? Thanks. That looks amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by mnavarre View Post
          This is a nice base wet rub for chicken:

1/4 cup olive oil
          Zest & juice of one lemon
          4-6 cloves garlic
          rosemary
          salt
          pepper
          1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Chop the garlic and rosemary fine enough that a stick blender will blitz it up, and then blitz it up with said stick blender. If you don't have a stick blender, just chop everything up fine and whisk it together. Rub the chicken down and make sure to get the rub under the skin on the breasts and thighs. Don't roll heavy smoke on this, it overpowers the rub.
          I use that for boneless chicken breasts and sometimes substitute Mayo for the mustard. Often I will substitute/add white or apple cider vinegar as well.

Comment

Looks delicious. Next time try taking out the ribs and breast bone before smoking. Then you can crave the breast meat into nice slices. Thick or thin as you want. Big hit with my family.

Comment

My life changed for the better when I starting spatchcocking poultry.

Comment

mnavarre You are a beast man. I use that marinade plus a bunch more herbage and garlic oil instead. Also orange juice and a salty veggie stock.

vita mix or Boat motor (depending on size of banquet) and then push it.

the result is a salty flavorful liquid I use over night on poultry. Especially 6oz event chicken breast.

Great looking bird above. This marinade above is clean and delicious as he wrote it.

Comment

Nice looking cook! Reminds me of me at a Halloween party in high school when I split the knee out of my tights trying to do a Madonna-ish move. Hahahaha.

Then there was the spatchcock turkey cook on my PBC when the turkey looked like it had Steve Erkel-ish high water pants on.

Am I the only one to anthropomorphize poultry when it cooks? Feel free to weigh in here.

Seriously though, I bet that chicken was yummy--juicy and tender. It looks bursting with flavor.

Kathryn

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Anthropormorphic Chickens - what a great band name!

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not th Onliest one, nope, Milady...

• Dfusco
                    Dfusco commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, the chicken turned out very juicy and flavorful. I am soooo glad I started spatchcocking chicken. My wife loves when I make this. I think the wet brine helps a ton, as it just seems so much more juicy when I do that.
                    Almost spit my water out when I laughed at your High school party reference....

If I knew what the more than 7 letter word was I would comment on that.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here