Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffalo wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo wings

One of my favorite food groups is Buffalo Wings. I am always looking in restaurants for the best, and how to do it best at home.
    So I tried the easy ways, oven baked with baking powder and also with corn starch. Neither do it well, don't stay crispy. I tried high heat, low and then high heat. They satisfy the craving until you can get better wings, that is all I can say about them.

Smoked is the same way. Good but not right. Fried is the only way to go I think. Also the most hassle. I think I will stick with eating these in restaurants.

As far as blue cheese dressings to go along with them, besides one Marie's dressing (Super Chunky or something like that), I would say make your own.

I make them on my Weber kettle with a Vortex. Crispy outside, perfectly done inside every time. Then tossed in whatever sauce I am in the mood for. If you have a kettle grill, get a Vortex and give it a try.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir! The Vortex is a wing cookin' machine.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep.

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the way.

My wife does them with 1 tbsp baking powder and a bit salt all the time in the oven.
    Puts them on a cooking tray on a cooking rack so air can circulate and bakes at 250 for 30 mins then crank up to 450 for 40--50 mins cook till golden brown.
    Always crispy.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking I might need to try that sometime.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Like the thread about over brining in here carefully measure the salt.
      She puts in way less than the original recipe called for.
      The first few batches she made there wasn’t enough water in the tap to quench our thirst.

Marie’s Blue Cheese Dressing is really good but if you want:

The Best There Is
    The Best There Was
    and
    The Best There Ever Will Be

You’ll need to get it from Western New York.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4308EB37-FF78-4B6C-9842-16EE39EE5DB5.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	886374

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      One thing I’ve never aquired a taste for is blue cheese with wings.
      Used to make road trips to Buffalo all the time to various wing joints.
      Hold the blue cheese....they’d look at you like you were some kinda nut

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh dude, blue cheese dressing is a nectar of the gods. I drink the stuff !!

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I highly suggest making your own. There's nothing quite like it. I have a very good recipe, if anybody wants it.

Our favorite wing prep method has recently become smoking wings with spicy rub in the BGE with plate setter and 300º for a couple of hours. But the result is smoked crispy wings, not Buffalo Wings. For simulated Buffalo Wings without deep frying, we go about 20 minutes in the air fryer at 400º then sauce with 50/50 Franks Red Hot and margarine. They come out nice and crispy, almost as good as deep fried.

Comment

Here’s your answer. I have an older model but you cain’t beat the awesomeness of the wings this bad boy puts out.
      https://cajunfryer.com/shop/ff2r-st-...er-with-stand/

You probably won’t ever want restaurant wings again.
      I will swear and stand by it.
      Last edited by Steve B; July 25, 2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        i WANT ONE

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones and HouseHomey I had a contractor who was behind on one of my projects years ago so I demanded a schedule out of him to force him to manage his work better. The next meeting we had I asked where said schedule was. I said, "I already did one, my schedule is "cain to cain't". I begin my work when I cain, and I'll work until I cain't"

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman , I reckon that was a fair nuff answer, then...;D

There are many great ways to make wings. I mean, you have to try to make bad wings. Old school,Buffalo wings is the sole reason we keep a deep fryer in the kitchen.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Even as we speak, there are Scores of Millions of Folks, especially now, homebound, , that are out back there, pushin back th envelope to th '60's-'70's, outdoor cookin wise...

Our Mission, if we choose to accept it, since we doin all we cain bout t'other, is Flatten That Curve, teach folks / learn from em; we might all never go to another brick an mortar, fer a very long, long time, after eatin Pit Forum Food...

I have done them a number of different ways - Vortex, fridge dried, cornstarch, baking powder, roasted indirect (all good), but at least for me I think the best has been on my BGE direct with a raised grate about 12” from the fire. It has been a long time since I did them that way, so I don’t remember the dome temp which must have been inside of 300 and maybe as low as 225.

Comment

Did someone say wings? Oh....sorry.

I just use the kettle with a hot fire. They turn out pretty good Not fried, but pretty good.

I guess I just don’t care for the mess of a deep frier, I wouldn’t fry enough to justify the purchase and storing of oil. But, fried wings are pretty good.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Next time you’re up in the NY area 🤔 look me up and I’ll whip some up for you. Might just change your mind. I know it did for Spinaker

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya. The great thing about these fryers is you keep the oil in the fryer for the season. That makes it really easy. I did not think I would fry as much as I do now, but its a regular thing for me now. The wings are jsut too good! That being said, grilled wings are bomb too!

My favorite way to make wings.......
        I light up my R&V works fryer and get the oil heated up to about 350 F. I drop the wings and fry for about 7 mins, give or take a min depending on the size of the wings. Then I will lift the baskets and give them 5 mins outside of the oil. Then they get dropped again for 2 more mins.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	61299825263__0F07A73E-E4A5-4A5A-8EF3-AC2D6E902904.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	887510Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7996.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.80 MB ID:	887511

After frying, I will take the wings and throw them in a stainless bowl for tossing in my favorite wing rub. Once the wings are coated, I will add the sauce and toss again.

The result is amazing. I am not saying I perfected wings, but this process is as perfect as I can get. Wonderfully crunchy skin and two layer of flavor in the skin of the wings.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Gawd I seriously need wings now!!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know if you need tips on how to cook chicken, especially wings. LOL HouseHomey

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey I know right !!!

Depending on my mood...I do wings in one of two ways.

Using a Vortex...because that is a wing cookin' machine. Even my mother, that generally does NOT like wings, will devour a plate full of them cooked with that. Much of the benefits of deep frying without the mess. And I can do a whole flock of 'em on my WSCG at one time.

Or I deep fry them...outside. ;-)
        I keep threatening to get a dedicated fryer but haven't pulled the trigger.
        yet LOL
        For now I use a couple of 8qt Bayou Classic dutch ovens. (Model 7460)

When frying, I do them pretty much like Spinaker does his...because it works. ;-) The only deviation is that when using the Vortex, and depending on the sauce, I might put 'em back on for a couple minutes to set the sauce. I ALWAYS have extra for dipping though.

Geez...now I need to go to the store and pick up a few pounds of wings. Thanks. LOL
        Last edited by surfdog; July 28, 2020, 12:39 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Lol, favorite food group. My whole family heartily agrees with you. I just cook them high heat until extra well done, then that flabby softness is gone. I prefer them drier and well done anyway. I actually prefer them with little or no smoke, so I like to use my pellet cooker as opposed to the others. My favorite sauce is a 50/50-ish mix of Franks and Newman's Own Creamy Caesar. It works so well!

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I was gonna post he but I babble a lot so I had to move it below. Newman’s and franks. Interesting.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Newman's Own? Interesting indeed. I will have to try that.

Man this is a great post, I'm salivating just thinking about it. Got a hankering for true Buffalo Wings. Where's my fryer?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, you know where to get one. And the right one too.

This may come as a surprise but since Huskee owned up to it first I will share a secret with you all.

I don’t like smoke on my chicken. Almost always never do. On a rare occasion I will add a very very small chunk to compliment a chili rub.

Ive posted a million pics of chicken in the pit. Almost all of it with no wood. I have gone through spurts retesting my palate.

Alas, I like my chicken to taste like chicken.

I have a standard that I use as a rub. I think I like it more than the rest of the house does though.

Im not sure why you can not get crispy skin. Something in your prep or cook technique is sabotaging your efforts.

anything we can do to help I think all of us 👆👆 would like to help. These people are terrific cooks.

Comment

I honestly would not worry about the smoke. But if you really want smoke on those wings, throw it in the smoker on low heat. 180-225 and cook them for a little bit, like 10-20 mins. Then throw them in your oven at 450 F with the convection setting on. This will help to crisp up that skin.

Or you can use a grill too, just run it hot. But that convection oven action will help a lot. I do this in my KBQ which is basically a wood fired convection oven. And it dominates wings. But I agree with you, nothing beats the fryer for crispness. Nothing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here