Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huli Huli for Duck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huli Huli for Duck?

Ok folks I need some help deciding what to do with a whole D'Artagnan Rohan duck that's in the freezer. I fell in love with Meathead's version of Huli Huli for chicken, both in the Weber with a SnS and a little wood (or none), or spatchcocked, split and hung in the PBC (again, with or without wood smoke, it's awesome).
    But I wonder, would it work for whole duck? Should I break it down and confit the legs/thighs, and then huli huli the breast/wing portions? What of all that fat that needs to render? In the Weber I can catch it in a pan (but this would have to be run low for a few hours before turning up the heat to crisp it I assume). But in the PBC all that fat would be lost if hung, and may just be enough to wreck it if too much acrid smoke started to come up from below.

Regardless, advice please! I'm crazy about the huli huli flavor profiles on chicken and think it can only be awesome on duck, but aren't sure how to make it work.

Try his Peking duck recipe if you want to cook it whole. If breaking it down then I tend to cook different pieces differently. I like breast medium rare with a good sear on the skin side. Huli huli is really just teriyaki, which would be great on the wings, and probably just fine on the legs too. Just a few thoughts, I'm a big duck fan myself.

Comment

I don't think it would work well on duck. The duck has a lot more fat to render and as insulation. This is one of those times I think forcing a grill/BBQ thing isn't the best move. I do the breast separate from the rest of the bird and confit the legs.

Comment

Thanks JCGrill and rickgregory . JC, I did take a look at the Peking recipe and am tempted! Rick, I don't think I agree that duck is ill-suited to grill/BBQ treatment solely because of it's fat. I've worked with a lot of duck in my distant past in the food racket, but we never smoked 'em or cooked 'em whole in any of the places I toiled. Heck the Chinese have been hanging and cooking ducks low-and-slow for ages!

Then again, there's this beauty: https://pitbarrelcooker.com/pages/te...dd6e81fa&_ss=r
        From Raichlen. I have to think that if I like I can always sub the Huli Huli for his Hoisin, and be pretty damn happy! I may even confit the legs, and do this with the breast portions. Damn I'm hungry.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Not all grill BBQ... just this rotisserie. It's not that you can't do it... but that I think other techniques are better. Why let all that tasty duck fat burn off?

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done the Peking duck. It was good. Restaurant versions I've had were better. Probably more practice and a few nuances needed.

This video is one I’ve been wanting to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvT5oyWUCA

This second video is one that impressed me when I first saw this preparation a few years ago, after adding the Joules Sous Vide machine to our repertoire. I’m not ready to give this version a try, but I want to share it with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqXjCFNX6HQ

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here