Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Different

Decided to change things up tonight and smoked a turkey breast. 5.5lb breast, dry brine (breast wasn’t pre brined or injected), Memphis dust, Weber 26”/SnS, KBB, pecan chunk, 90 degrees and humid. Temps held at 327-330 but SnS burned charcoal fast and I had trouble maintaining temp at end of the cook. Put the breast in the oven for a few minutes to finish it off.

Excellent results. Moist, just the right smoke. Sliced for sandwiches on sourdough with romaine, heirloom tomato, and mayo. Corn, bean, avocado salad on the side. Great summer dinner. Click image for larger version

Name:	A806200C-354C-4755-B81B-FC6F21BEA95B.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	871009

Second photo didn’t load with the original post... Click image for larger version

Name:	F71E1BCC-31C2-4741-8463-77B058C90698.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	871011

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Turkey sammies are the bomb.

Turkey is good anytime of year. Looks wonderful.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, DavidNorcross. I agree. We eat a lot of turkey from the deli but rarely think about cooking/smoking a breast or whole bird unless it is the holidays.

Love some turkey off the grill!

Comment

Turkey breast. The other white meat. We eat it year 'round, with lots of different rubs. My current fav is a homemade Indian Spice rub first seen in Bon Appetit in an article featuring a local Indian restaurant.

Yours looks delicious!

Kathryn

Comment

I loves doin me up some turkey breast on th smoker, delectable goodness inevitably results...

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree! We smoke them for holidays but will make it a regular part of the year round rotation.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reds Fan 5 They make fer some damfine deli sammich meat, I often do mine with a tech of Mesquite, on top of my typical Hickory....
        Reckon 25% Mesquite, vs. Hickory
        Applewood also makes fer nice poultry flavour...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 28, 2020, 05:23 PM.

Great looking cook!

We like the turkey breasts since there are only 2 of us. Never smoked one. That'll be on the To Cook List

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yer gonna kick yerself fer never havin done one, brother!

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        BFlynn you will not regret it!

The last time we talked about turkey breasts here, Steve R. turned me on to Aaron Franklin's recipe, which is top on the list for my next turkey breast cook. Here is a link he provided (it's also in Franklin's cookbook, he says).

This is how Steve does his: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...468#post735468 . I think he uses one of Franklin's sauces to top it with. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...892#post834892

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! I recently made my first batch of Aaron Franklin's espresso sauce (also in the book), which takes the whole thing up a notch.

I've been on the smoked turkey breast wagon for a while now but the wife keeps laying the kibosh on my plans
      She never lets me get anything
      I'm not taking her shopping next time so I can do what I want

Comment

Late;y I have been going the SV route with turkey breasts. Did a couple last week with the cajun seasoning from the free side. Great sandwiches!

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Any probs with the bones piercing the bag or do you remove the rib bones like Steve R. does?

Kathryn

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc, I remove the bones. I don't even brown them anymore, just out of the bath and into ice to cool, then slice.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here