Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will fresh chicken stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    If it doesn't smell funky, you're fine. You can always nibble a little and wait. Yes, I;'m serious

• jumbo7676
    commented on 's reply
    Last time I tossed food was 8 lbs of cooked pulled pork. Under normal circumstances I would have kept it, but I had just gotten over a virus the week before and wasn't willing to take any chances at all.

• jumbo7676
    commented on 's reply
    I cooked it last night. Actually cooked it before posting to get that done as soon as possible. Now, instead of a raw chicken in my fridge, I have a cooked spatchcocked chicken waiting for me to decide if I should eat it or not.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones but is it slicker than buzzard puss?

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones I have happy dogs. They get meat on top of their kibble every meal.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yup, love th new avatar, done seened it yestiday!!!
    Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob, sez I
    Another regional, perhaps, is: Slicker than greased owl shit

Do they say this, where alla yall're at, or summat different?

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I gotta find me a job as a Dog.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    I use the nose test everytime I get some milk. In college I didn't, and paid later...abundantly.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    HouseHomey eye of the tiger, or just the one without a Chalazion that needs to be removed.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I always go by the nose test with chicken. Even store bought I have left it for almost a week and it was fine. But do what you think is best for you. Some people are more squeamish than others. I grew up with my mom butcher chickens in the backyard so I am sensitive to that awful smell of dead chickens and won't keep a bad bag/
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 23, 2020, 10:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    That actually looks like you HouseHomey 😂😂

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, gut feeling. I've tossed food that more than likely was fine, but gut feeling that made me feel better to go with something else.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    That avatar!!

• HouseHomey
    replied
    How do you follow that?

Id eat that. Wouldn’t hesitate to toss it though if I was feeling squeamish.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    If you cook it nice and hot (350+), likely fine. Even plant-processed chicken held at room temp for hours and hours didn't have significant Log increases on whole birds immediately after chilling. Parts would probably be another story. I would also expect coming from a farm you would have less Campy contamination since that stuff likes to spread like a big fat lie when them chickens are loaded on trucks. Problem with store bought chicken is you don't know how often time/temp abuse took place before it made it to your kitchen, like many things, and thus we opt to err on the side of caution since the downside is so low and the upside is just a meal that can be replaced, unlike human life.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis