Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will fresh chicken stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will fresh chicken stay?

I got two fresh chickens delivered straight from the farm last Saturday. One sat in my fridge until today (one whole week). The packing date on the bird was one day before delivery, 8 days ago. Is it still ok to eat? It smelled fine. It was a little wet (they are usually pretty dry) but not slimy. I see recommended for chicken is 1-2 days after purchase, but that is for grocery store birds, not fresh from the farm. Anyone chicken experts here that can help me out?

An expert I am not, but if it passes the sniff test, I'd cook it.

Comment

Whew, chickens worse than pork for storing unfrozen even in the fridge.
      To be honest I've never brought fresh chicken so don't know how it compares to store brought.
      I hate waste but I'd be careful with this one, probably err on the safe side and toss.

Comment

Your fine, as long as not off smells.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          I tend to go with 'if it smells okay and isn't slimy' then cook it for me, otherwise it goes to the dogs. If it tastes funky after cooked, then it goes to the dogs.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I gotta find me a job as a Dog.

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones I have happy dogs. They get meat on top of their kibble every meal.

Given that chicken has a high risk of bacterial contamination, preparing, cooking, and storing it properly is important. This article explains how long chicken lasts in your fridge.

Comment

Jerod Broussard your the resident poultry expert, comments?

Comment

A *lot* depends on the temp. The bottoms shelf in my fridge is at 34F. Stuff stays ok there for quite a while. top shelf.. 38.

But either freeze it or cook it today. Don't wait another 3 days.

Comment

• jumbo7676
              jumbo7676 commented
              Editing a comment
              I cooked it last night. Actually cooked it before posting to get that done as soon as possible. Now, instead of a raw chicken in my fridge, I have a cooked spatchcocked chicken waiting for me to decide if I should eat it or not.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              If it doesn't smell funky, you're fine. You can always nibble a little and wait. Yes, I;'m serious

I’ve gotta go with the "don’t win the Darwin Award" recommendation: Toss it.

Comment

If you cook it nice and hot (350+), likely fine. Even plant-processed chicken held at room temp for hours and hours didn't have significant Log increases on whole birds immediately after chilling. Parts would probably be another story. I would also expect coming from a farm you would have less Campy contamination since that stuff likes to spread like a big fat lie when them chickens are loaded on trucks. Problem with store bought chicken is you don't know how often time/temp abuse took place before it made it to your kitchen, like many things, and thus we opt to err on the side of caution since the downside is so low and the upside is just a meal that can be replaced, unlike human life.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey eye of the tiger, or just the one without a Chalazion that needs to be removed.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, love th new avatar, done seened it yestiday!!!
                Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob, sez I
                Another regional, perhaps, is: Slicker than greased owl shit

Do they say this, where alla yall're at, or summat different?

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones but is it slicker than buzzard puss?

How do you follow that?

Id eat that. Wouldn’t hesitate to toss it though if I was feeling squeamish.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, gut feeling. I've tossed food that more than likely was fine, but gut feeling that made me feel better to go with something else.

• jumbo7676
                jumbo7676 commented
                Editing a comment
                Last time I tossed food was 8 lbs of cooked pulled pork. Under normal circumstances I would have kept it, but I had just gotten over a virus the week before and wasn't willing to take any chances at all.

I always go by the nose test with chicken. Even store bought I have left it for almost a week and it was fine. But do what you think is best for you. Some people are more squeamish than others. I grew up with my mom butcher chickens in the backyard so I am sensitive to that awful smell of dead chickens and won't keep a bad bag/
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 23, 2020, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I use the nose test everytime I get some milk. In college I didn't, and paid later...abundantly.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here