Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will fresh chicken stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I’ve gotta go with the "don’t win the Darwin Award" recommendation: Toss it.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    A *lot* depends on the temp. The bottoms shelf in my fridge is at 34F. Stuff stays ok there for quite a while. top shelf.. 38.

But either freeze it or cook it today. Don't wait another 3 days.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    Jerod Broussard your the resident poultry expert, comments?

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    I tend to go with 'if it smells okay and isn't slimy' then cook it for me, otherwise it goes to the dogs. If it tastes funky after cooked, then it goes to the dogs.

• ComfortablyNumb
    replied
    Given that chicken has a high risk of bacterial contamination, preparing, cooking, and storing it properly is important. This article explains how long chicken lasts in your fridge.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    Your fine, as long as not off smells.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Whew, chickens worse than pork for storing unfrozen even in the fridge.
    To be honest I've never brought fresh chicken so don't know how it compares to store brought.
    I hate waste but I'd be careful with this one, probably err on the safe side and toss.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    An expert I am not, but if it passes the sniff test, I'd cook it.

Leave a comment:

• jumbo7676
    started a topic How long will fresh chicken stay?

How long will fresh chicken stay?

I got two fresh chickens delivered straight from the farm last Saturday. One sat in my fridge until today (one whole week). The packing date on the bird was one day before delivery, 8 days ago. Is it still ok to eat? It smelled fine. It was a little wet (they are usually pretty dry) but not slimy. I see recommended for chicken is 1-2 days after purchase, but that is for grocery store birds, not fresh from the farm. Anyone chicken experts here that can help me out?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here