Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much smoke for chicken wings ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much smoke for chicken wings ?

I have a gas box smoker (masterbuilt 340 thermoXL). I am cooking some wings today and curious about the amount of smoke to use. I dont want to over smoke them and ruin the flavor. I think typical cook for wings is an hour or hour and a half (in general, temp dependent). Curious how people handle the amount of smoke across the whole cook time to get the smokey flavor but not overdo it. Any quick help is appreciated.

I actually don’t use wood on my wings. The flavor from the grill is plenty for me on my wings.

When I do add wood I use a very tiny amount. A single 2x1 (2x2?) chunk or so just for a tiny smoke.

(edit, oh, gas box smoker?? Toss in a chunk and let her rip, go hot n fast)
    Last edited by HouseHomey; May 23, 2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Wings are something I cook at 350ish, to ensure they get crisp skin, and they don’t take 90 minutes - more like 45 to 60 at those temps. A chunk of wood would be good since you are cooking indirect, but don’t go crazy.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, a small chunk or a big handful of chips.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers. Ran at 350 for about an hour total time and only smoked for the first 15 mins then pulled the wood bowl out altogether. The wing skin did get firm and ALMOST crispy. Probably could have run a slightly higher temp for a shorter time and may try that next cook. I did find out that the right side of my cooker gets hotter. The wings over there had a clearly hotter cook for some reason. not sure why a box cooker would have a hotter side but it definitely does. Very please at this first attempt on my new smoker.

I have been grilling my wings for years and we love this rub recipe and sauce. Thought I would share. I add honey to the sauce and it really helps even it out a bit and helps get is sticky/shin with a little sweetness. We leave out the cinnamon on the wings.

Comment

Smoke pellet flavor, cooking temp, and smoking time for skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs? Would love some suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I use B&B competition blend for everything pellet - cherry, maple and hickory blend. I run thighs at 350-375 until they are done - I have never timed them. I guess maybe 45 min to an hour? I check the temperatures and take them off at around 170. Be sure to dry brine uncovered in the fridge to get that skin crispy.

I do wings at 325-350. I don’t bother with the digital thermometer, the lid thermometer on the Primo is good enough.

as for smoke, it’s hard to overdo it. Cook time is rather short. Plus there is the wing sauce, which can be whatever you want. Spicy? Sweet? There is no wrong answer there.

Comment

dpx5 for this hotter cook, you probably didn't want water in the water pan. Did you have water in there, or did you run it dry? Just curious, since I am likely going to end up with a gas smoker for my next cooker. And in my experience, all cookers end up with hot spots. I guess you would think it would be more even on a propane smoker, with the water pan acting as a deflector down at the bottom. I would expect it to be hotter at the top than the bottom by at least 20 degrees, but not a side to side variation on the same grate level.
          Last edited by jfmorris; May 26, 2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I happen to prefer 'the less the better, but definitely some' with wings, just like burgers, but I suppose it's really trial and error with personal taste being the deciding factor. I go 350-400 with wings, so there's not much time for much smoke adherence anyway really.

Comment

Surprised no mention of a good old Vortex cook. I blast them to about 500* or so (whatever it puts out) and do throw a small chunk of cherry or apple on top at the beginning. It produces a light smoke and burns up quickly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wings 01.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	852454

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Vortex is a chicken master... don’t own one, but always recommend it.

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, Vortex is my go to for thighs and wings. Never thought of laying down the Al foil under the wings to capture the grease/mop sauce. I'll have to give that a try next time.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                TripleB Yea not only does the foil catch the mess, it serves a dual purpose buy forcing more air through the Vortex. Amps up the heat even more. My thermo gun at the grate level usually comes in around 500*. Cooks those wings in 30 minutes or less.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
              dpx5 for this hotter cook, you probably didn't want water in the water pan. Did you have water in there, or did you run it dry? Just curious, since I am likely going to end up with a gas smoker for my next cooker. And in my experience, all cookers end up with hot spots. I guess you would think it would be more even on a propane smoker, with the water pan acting as a deflector down at the bottom. I would expect it to be hotter at the top than the bottom by at least 20 degrees, but not a side to side variation on the same grate level.
              jfmorris Yes, I did have water in the pan and will try without it next time and just use it as deflection. That moisture might have been the cause of the wings not getting fully crispy.

The variation in temp from left side to right on the same grate was weird. I did a test when i first got the smoker and do have normal variation bottom to top just like Max in his official review but I wouldnt expect any difference between left and right of the same rack (2nd from top). Maybe it was just the way the wind was blowing air through it that day. No clue but will need to me aware of it.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                The problem is that water boils at 212F, so you had water boiling off and introducing steam into the environment, which is fine at 225 or 250, but probably made it actually hard to get to an air temperature of 350F and crispy wings. I don't think I would use water at all when cooking above 300. Someone else with a gas smoker needs to comment, but this is my experience with charcoal smokers. My next smoker is likely going to be a gas box smoker (Smoke Vault 24) converted to natural gas.

@jfmorris Just wanted to say thank you about the 'no water' advice above. Ran wings again, no water, this time 350 for just under and hour an the skin was as crispy as if the wings were deep fried. They were fantastic and my guests could not believe I got that result from a smoker. Thank you!
              Last edited by dpx5; June 21, 2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here