Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerk Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerk Chicken

I know it doesn't look pretty but here's the chicken marinading in the jerk marinade. I'm going to let it marinade for 2 days. Here is the recipe for the jerk marinade that I used:

4-5 green onions (roughly chop)
    1/2 of a onion (cut in quarters)
    3 Habaneros Peppers (Scotch Bonnet Peppers if you can find them)
    4 Garlic Cloves
    Chunk of Ginger
    1 tbsp of Thyme (dry or fresh)
    1 tbsp Peppercorns
    1 tbsp Kosher salt
    1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
    1 tbsp Allsprice
    2 tbsp Brown Sugar
    2-3 tbsp Soy Sauce
    2 tbsp Lime Juice
    2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
    1/4 cup White Vineger

Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Makes enough for 1 whole chicken. Here I took a whole chicken and cut it in half because I didn't have no Ziplock bags that would hold a whole chicken.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0045.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	84452
    Last edited by DWCowles; May 23, 2015, 07:09 AM.

After 2 days of marinading in the smoker they go and 165 F later we got Jerk chicken... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0074.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	85166 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	85167

Comment

Gooooooooooood looking stuff right there!!!!!

Comment

Wow! Those are some pretty lookin' birds.

Comment

Looks great! Jerk chicken is my favorite. America's test kitchen has a great recipe for it and it looks similar to your marinade. They have you throw in a few tablespoons of rosemary thyme and allspice berries into the wood chip packet to give the fragrant smoke of pimento wood.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          That is pretty nifty. I can't stand rosemary (or ginger), but I thoroughly enjoy Thyme and even more so Allspice.

Looks great! I just discovered some jerk recipes and have been playing with the allspice/scotch bonnet combo. Seriously good eating. This post definitely inspires me to do more of that.

Comment

That jerk chicken is some pretty good stuff. I had to settle with Habaneros peppers because I couldn't find Scotch Bonnet peppers no where around here so i bought some Scotch Bonnet pepper plants.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call. I would say the habaneros are very close to the scotch bonnets, both when comparing (scoville) heat and flavor profile. The scotch bonnets have a bit sweeter flavor, I think.

Whippin' this up for an Around the World taste test at the school the kiddees attend.

Comment

Very tasty looking.

Comment

Added to my cook projects for the year. Thanks DWCowles

Comment

Always a fave!!!

Comment

DWCowles - those are absolutely fantastic photos! Thank you much for the recipe. My son went to Jamaica to do some scientific diving last summer. Before leaving he promised to go in search of good jerk chicken and a recipe to go along with it. He failed on both accounts. I'm going to tell him now that I don't need his advice!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If I went on a vacation in Jamaica, it's quite conceivable I jus' might also forget some of th' things on my itinerary!!!
                    Jus' sayin'...

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones - he had all sorts of issues with diving permits that had been issued so he didn't get out. So after a frustrating trip I just had to have fun and needle him about his broken vow. He wanted some local cuisine pretty bad and I got the impression he was stuck on his computer with PB&J.

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, I've had better days (and meals) in Iraq than that!!
                    Glad yer just jestin' him', sorry his divin' got fouled up in red tape...

OK...I have another thing to try. Damn you AR and DWCowles LOL

Comment

Two WHOLE chickens (spatchcocked) in one Ziploc bag.

DWCowles may have bigger smokers but I gots bigger Ziploc bags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170329_223244.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	296639

Comment

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahahahaha. The Ziplock King!

That looks amazing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The amazing thing is how much the jerk marinade looks like a pile of crap, especially if you plop it down right.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here