Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low then hot for chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low then hot for chicken?

For chicken with crispy skin, I like others have had more success going hot - 375 - 500. I just got a fan for my fireboard, and I was wondering if people have had success with a multi stage cook starting the first 30-60 mins at 225-275 for maximizing the smoke flavor and then ramping up to 400+ to finish the skin? Curious how this compares to going hot the whole time or slow the whole time and searing at the end...?

what kind of cooker? by the reference to low temp to maximize smoke, are you referring to a pellet grill? if so, i have no idea, lol. If its charcoal then ive always just went hot with a wood chunk or two and never had any problem. If anything, its easier to oversmoke chicken than undersmoke in my experience.

Comment

I normally front sear the skin then go hot 'till it's done. But go ahead and give it a try, Then report yur results here.

Comment

I cook on a pellet cooker. I go for about an hour on the "extreme smoke" setting of 180 degrees, then crank it up to 400 until done. Turns out moist and tender inside, crispy outside.

Comment

I don't have a Fireboard, but do have a Party Q fan controller. My experience there, is if you are cooking low and slow around 250, then want to ramp up to 350-400, it will take a LONG time with the fan running full blast. You don't say what cooker you are using, but based on my experience with the Party Q on a Weber Kettle and Slow 'N Sear, you don't have a lot of coals going for 225-250, but need most of them lit for 350-400, and while the fan can get you there, its a long slow ramp.

A more effective option might be to just light a half chimney of charcoal to dump in when you want to ramp the temperature up, that way you can boost the temp much more quickly.

Comment

I have only done low and slow when I do whole chickens on the wsm, but the skin is never crispy. Maybe spatchcock then low then crisp up the skin over a roaring fire? I have a couple of whole chickens in the freezer. If I remember this thread (which is a crapshoot at my age) I may try that out. For chicken wings, legs and thighs, I always use the vortex.

Edit - OK, I forgot about this (see what I mean about age???) I made these awhile back and they came out excellent. So good that I bought the cookbook.

When I moved to Houston in 1975, I found myself looking for a place to live in Seabrook, a coastal community along Galveston Bay that’s part of the booming
            Last edited by klflowers; May 1, 2020, 09:05 AM. Reason: Added link to HJ Leggie recipe from @troutman

Comment

Should have added the cooker, sorry! M1 Stick Burner. So the ability to ramp up temp would be a bit easier with feeding the fire more fuel (splits).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here