Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technical Brine/Roast/Rub/Marinade Question(s?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical Brine/Roast/Rub/Marinade Question(s?)

Short Story: Boyfriend is from Lima, Peru. I've only been once but man, that Pollo a la Brasa! So now that I'm getting a BBQ I want to try to re-create that and I figure it'd be better on the Barby than the Oven. My biggest problem is that all the recipes seem to call for beer, and from what I've read on AR there's a few things wrong with that.
    Side Note; I saw Dewesq55's recipe on here and I think it's the best one I've found yet! But technical questions still remain.

And please feel free to tell me to just cook the dang bird already! I may have overloaded a bit on the information and be fretting over nothing but here it goes...

Most of the recipes I've seen call for what seems like heavy salt, which makes sense now to me because that would be the dry brine to do that magic work on the chicken and the oils work on getting flavours out so when you cook it flavour happens. But the videos and recipes I've seen they rub and rub this gorgeous paste over it and then...pour beer over the bird. Or, just marinate the bird in the whole schebang. But isn't that just pointless because everything's too big to penetrate the bird?
    So then I thought well maybe make a paste and do the dry brine and spritz with beer but no, apparently that won't impart much flavour either.
    Also there's the mention of raw alcohol being bad for meat and to cook it first. I love making simple "beer chicken" of tossing meat in a pan and browning it up, then simmering with some beer and herbs until it's all cooked through and you have this lovely thick flavorful sauce. So why not thicken the beer (because it's mostly water) so that there is a higher concentration of flavour in the paste? Or would that still not be worth it?

Beer seems to be consistent in every dang recipe for the pollo so I've got to think it's a vital ingredient but after reading all the science now I'm not so sure.

Simpler Brine Question: Should I do the rub and let the bird sit 12-24 hours or should I just straight salt it and let it sit, only adding the paste (minus salt) right before going on the grill?

If it helps I plan to put the bird on a vertical roaster (opening a chimney in the neck....) of course following the 2-zone method. Hopefully this turns out great! The chicken turned out pretty good with a pre-made sauce we brought back from Lima when I cooked it in the oven.
    But I've seen spatchcocking and also maybe just quarter the chicken options too and I'm wondering if I'll get the same great crispy skin that way?

I know this is like, my first post but this burning question (after reading 100 some odd AR pages) is part of why I joined.
    Also the community seems pretty cool

I look at so much pollo at work, I think a normal person would need their weight in beer just to get through the day, much less 13 years of it.

Try it without the beer, don't tell the most interesting man from Peru, and see how it goes.

I got my eyes on a Jerk Pollo recipe to try out.

Comment

Hah he's not a cook he doesn't know what goes into it except his beloved Aji Amarillo (yellow Aji pepper).
      Thanks though I think I will just drink it instead! Not that I can get the peruvian beer here anyway (Canada is le lame with the liquor) but I'm sure I'll manage to find a decent beer somehow....

Comment

We have places here that don't even allow full strength American beer. Until 2 years ago I had to drive a half hour to buy any beer at all, and still can't buy it on Sunday.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't drank since August of 1995. I was sending a cousin off to the Marines, maybe drank twice the 12 months before that. Figured that would be a good time to stop. I was 19.

My family back home drinks enough to make up for what I don't.

• TraumaLlama
          TraumaLlama commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok that even beats BC and we're the tightest province.
          You'd think the world was ending because a bill finally passed to let grocery stores sell beer (still throws me for a loop in the US when it's sitting there in 7-11!!)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here