Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Legs?

Hello all, new to smoking, but absolutely love this site and forum. Was planning on smoking some large chicken drumsticks this week for the family. Two quick questions, do you suggest brining them before and if so, for how long? and 2- what temp should I smoke them to get the crispiest skin possible without drying them out too much? Thanks again and Happy Easter to all!

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta.................But I want you to quit talking about my legs. I have feelings you know!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya know I was thinkin the same thing about yer legs, yup.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan Hey I'm just about ready to cry......stop it.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya, ofelles ; I thought somebody was taggin me, as well!

Brine em at least 4hrs17min or overnight. I’d just cook em with a little lumber in yer fire to get a wisp of smoke.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Robbie. I dry brine chicken, but some here wet brine. Brining time is dependent on the time available. All day if I have the time, but at least an hour. About 1/2 tsp per pound is close - use kosher salt, but if you don't have any kosher, use about 1/2 to 2/3 if the suggested amount.
      I don't know what you are cookin' on, but I use a kettle with a full chimney of lit charcoal and I let it run as hot as it will get. That's normally 400° + F. Pull them when the IT is ~ 170°.

Others here do it differently, so stick around for different opinions.

Comment

I cook legs and leg quarters to around 175F IT, to have the fat and connective tissue rendered, and have crisp skin. And yes - dry brining can help. I usually just dry brine chicken in my rub, if using a rub that has salt in it.

Comment

Yes, dry brine uncovered for 24 hours, smoke at 325 for crispy skin. Ad a bit of baking powder (not soda) to your dry brine for crispier skin.

Comment

I like to dry brine. Chicken is always good. I have not mastered the crispy skin yet though. I'll keep at it...practice makes perfect

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
              Welcome to The Pit Robbie. I dry brine chicken, but some here wet brine. Brining time is dependent on the time available. All day if I have the time, but at least an hour. About 1/2 tsp per pound is close - use kosher salt, but if you don't have any kosher, use about 1/2 to 2/3 if the suggested amount.
              I don't know what you are cookin' on, but I use a kettle with a full chimney of lit charcoal and I let it run as hot as it will get. That's normally 400° + F. Pull them when the IT is ~ 170°.

Others here do it differently, so stick around for different opinions.
              Ron, I like everything you said except you didn't mention direct or indirect heat.

I guess it can go both ways, but indirect is a little better IMO. Less chance of overcooking too early or burning it up.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry - when replying, I sometimes assume too much. I cook indirect, but I have started searing direct first to help the skin crisp up.

• amalik
                amalik commented
                Editing a comment
                That always tricks me up, how do you know when to stop? Maillard reaction type brown and crisp and then move over?

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                All I'm tryin' to do is render some of the fat so that the skin has a better chance to crisp up. I just want some color, but not burned. I've never had the skin overcook while cooking indirect. However, I do pull chicken at 158° in the breast.

+1 for Dry brine. Pat dry with paper towels, salt,
              leave in fridge uncovered 1-2 days. Smoke hot at 350-400. Go to about 180F.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here