Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mustard chicken w/ memphis dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mustard chicken w/ memphis dust

In the past I made this I'm curious what you think. I covered a chicken in normal mustard than add very light sprinkles of Memphis dust to it. It tasted great I'm curious what would be the best n mustard covered chicken?

Always just used oil or butter for chicken, never tried mustard.

Comment

If it taste great I wouldn't change it

Comment

I did a mustard crust on a couple hams. It was a finishing crust mixed with egg and bread crumbs.

I've heard you get more mustard flavor with mustard powder, rather than regular mustard, when applying it "pre-cook." Many cooks use mustard to help the rub adhere.

Comment

doesn't the wet of the mustard help the smoke stick better?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            It should help. Chickens are like sponges for smoke anyways.

I use melted butter and then mix in Dijon mustard until it becomes a paste and then add a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce to taste. Then I dredge the chicken breasts in a 50/50 mix of Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Then I line a small sheet pan with tin foil and put an elevated cooling rack on it so the breasts have complete airflow while cooking. I set the BGE at 350 degrees and bake it about 35 minutes to an internal temp of 160 degrees. It's one of the most requested dishes I serve to friends and family. Try it you'll like it.
          Last edited by Breadhead; May 15, 2015, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• frijolefrito
            frijolefrito commented
            Editing a comment
            Trying this it sounds delicious.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            @frijolefrito

That's been my go to chicken dish for 15 years. It's hard to beat.

Originally posted by frijolefrito View Post
          doesn't the wet of the mustard help the smoke stick better?
          Dr. Blonder said in his "Smoke" seminar that mustard lowers the pH (makes the meat surface more acid) which makes it less likely to show a smoke ring. (See at about 53 minutes into his video.) For that reason, he says, when he wants mustard as part of his flavor profile, he adds it to the meat later in the cook (after 1-2 hours), after it has absorbed most of the smoke flavor that it can. I thought this was an interesting notion, and thought I'd pass it on. For more info, he discusses the role of pH in this PDF. Check out page 29.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; May 14, 2015, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• frijolefrito
            frijolefrito commented
            Editing a comment
            SCIENCE!!! Got it.

• Sterling7771
            Sterling7771 commented
            Editing a comment
            The PDF has loads of great information. Thanks for posting the link.

I have been using Meathead's dry brine method on my ribs. thinking next time give quick rinse under water, pat dry, apply olive oil and Memphis Dust and see if I get a better smoke ring.

There's no reason to settle any longer for dry, flavorless grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts. The secret? My famous mustard marinade.

going with this

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done those a few times. Tis gooood.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here