Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasted chicken almost always = soup on deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been making stock for years; chicken, beef, shrimp, whatever. It's what all cooks should strive to do, make the most of everything you have, even the bones and scrap meat. For me it's just in a cooking pot but one of them insta-thing-a-ma-jigs seems like a good solution !!!

Comment

Until hubby got an Instant Pot a few weeks ago, I'd always made stock with the traditional long simmer of bones, scraps, veggies, and seasonings in a stock pot.

I made a batch of chicken stock in his IP last week -- basically the usual "a little of this and a little of that" kind of stock that I've always made, just cooked in the IP for 30 minutes at high pressure. After the cook, I turned the IP entirely off and let it cool down naturally over night. That slow cool down added to the cook time with no worries about the pot boiling dry and things burning. I have to say the IP produced a nicely flavored stock full of gelatin. The bones were actually soft and crumbly ... the dogs loved 'em.

I have to say I might be a convert to the IP for some things. I have had about my fill, however, of IP recipes that are variations on the theme of "throw chicken breasts in the IP with a sweet gooey sauce and cook the cr*p out of them." But that's the fault of the recipe, not the IP.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        There are people who like instant pots because they don't like to cook and then there are people who like electric pressure cookers because they like to cook.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I do think you are spot-on right. There are some awful IP recipes out there. Ugh.

Hubby wants to do more cooking, which is fine with me. But he's in that "beginner cook" stage where he has the basic skills but doesn't yet have the ability to "taste" a recipe in his mind to see if it makes sense before making it. And with a pressure cooker, there's also the issue of learning about cook times and how they affect the finished texture and taste of the food. That's a skill both of us lack.

Ready to freeze.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KHgvJqtM2Wtm2SF5GFl5nHivldSkwFSGTlfowVhUBvdYvIaZ_Ls3MSrsRtRQZXJlV5qWyuqlHQ1eziQtgyMxaN7rIHtyIJ8x7_Rau2AoWvsg6jkkvPgEu5He3tAzDQJRpG-a1ZGNSu8F0-ToRPoPNsGLsc_Rq3R5Y5rVrwU12CQ04QnsTr4sML5-b9eo5cKZDfoQK9ZaxDPpBUY9gJOTFBb_KRJBizLEGbMhOa1C96-Ku-dvN-G71KP3kVniywp
Views:	194
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	827153

Comment

Stupid question. Didn’t see it posted so I’ll ask. Recipe calls for 4+ pounds of bones. Ain’t no way I’m getting that in one go. Can I freeze the bones as I go and build up my "collection"?

Comment

Razor Just add enough water to cover whatever bones you have in the pot. But yes you can definitely freeze your bones and save them up that way. I keep bags in the freezer for veggies and different types of bones.
          Last edited by Attjack; April 29, 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Roasted chicken is very testy. Its also Spicy dish

Comment

It's funny this post came up today because I'll be roasting a chicken tonight and yesterday was the first day of fall which means soup season is here.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Use that stock to make rice or grits too.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I've never used it to make grits. Good idea.

Great thread.
              I recently began making mine in a crock pot, and it has turned out much better for me than it ever did using a stock pot. Had never considered using the IP
              gonna give it a try

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here