Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belizean Stewed Chicken Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belizean Stewed Chicken Recipe

Troutman ofelles Spinaker Henrik

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3623.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	818107

Belizean Stewed Chicken

Ingredients:
    1 Chicken cut into pieces.
    1 Full TBSP of Red Recado (Achiote Paste) See Cooks Note:
    1 Ripe tomato quartered
    1 Med onion quartered
    1 Jalapeño pepper diced
    1/2 Red bell pepper quartered
    4 Cloves of garlic minced
    1 Small bunch of cilantro, 1 cup or so
    2 Medium carrots cut into sticks
    Salt
    Black pepper
    Cooking oil of preference. Coconut oil is traditional and adds nice flavor.

Directions:
    Dry brine chicken for at least an hour. Overnight is best.
    In a small bowl add recado and 2-3 Tbsps of water and dissolve forming a very thin paste.
    In a large bowl add chicken and recado mixture and black pepper and mix thoroughly.
    In a food processor or blender, add tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño and bell pepper and form a puree.
    Add puree to bowl with chicken and mix thoroughly.
    Remove chicken from bowl and pat dry with paper towel.
    In a large skillet heat oil and brown chicken on all sides.
    Remove chicken and set aside.
    Add carrots to skillet and sauté for 2 minutes or so.
    Add all puree to skillet and bring to a brisk simmer.
    Return chicken to skillet and add water or chicken stock as necessary to maintain a nice amount of gravy.
    Simmer until chicken is done.
    Serve over Stewed Beans and Coconut Rice.

Cook’s Note: Red Recado Or Achiote Paste can be found in Latin sections of some stores or ordered online. Also Achiote paste can also be made from mixing water and annatto seeds together to form a paste.

Instant Pot Stewed Beans Recipe.

Ingredients:
    1/2 lb Dry red Kidney beans rinsed
    4 Cups of Water
    1 Small onion diced
    1 Small bunch of cilantro chopped
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:
    Add all ingredients except salt and pepper to the Instant Pot and set for high pressure for 35 minutes.
    When done after 10 minutes release remaining pressure.
    Set Instant to Sauté function and cook down stirring often until liquid is somewhat thickened.
    Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Last edited by troymeister; March 21, 2020, 11:16 AM.

I thought I read " a bazillion stewed chicken recipes" !!!!!!
    looks delish ! 🤣😂🤣😂👍👍👍

Comment

Man, this looks amazing. Extremely hearty!

Comment

I'd choke that down!

Comment

I’m bookmarking this. Sounds delicious.

Comment

Thank you on my must try list!

Comment

Looks and sounds really good. I may have to try it.

Comment

Looks really yummy!

In the Caye Caulker island version of Belizean stew chicken that I learned, the recado is mixed with vinegar, not water. The chicken is marinated in the recado-vinegar mixture for a few hours to overnight. The chicken is not browned; it's stewed in water (or broth) plus all of the recado mixture.

Add veggies, herbs, and garlic -- or not -- as desired. The bell pepper and carrot you used are an excellent addition. On the island, veggies are expensive, so they're not always included, depending on the pocketbook of the person making the stew chicken.

The rice is regular long-grain white rice. They sometimes add a packet of the dried coconut milk powder to the water for the rice and stir until the powder dissolves in the water. The powder adds richness to the rice but doesn't taste strongly of coconut.

Comment

• troymeister
                  troymeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are as many variations of this dish as there people who cook it. My best friend did grow up on Caye Caulker and his mom did use carrots and bell pepper. Typically on the Island chicken is always washed with some sort of acid there. Lime juice, vinegar, even orange juice. I tried to incorporate browning the chicken and making the sauce a little thicker as a matter pf personal preference.

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I agree there are as many recipes for stew chicken as there are cooks who make this dish. It's home cookin' to feed a big family. My Gramma taught me to make stew(ed) chicken and homemade noodles for much the same reason.

I like that you browned the chicken and included the veggies -- that will give your version a richer and more varied flavor.

This dish also goes good with fresh fruit, especially fresh pineapple.

We simply don’t have enough of this. Really nice dish, well written recipe and overall enjoyable presentation. Thanks Troy.

Comment

• troymeister
                  troymeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman Thank you! Sheltering in place does have it's good points. I was able without guilt to spend all morning writing this recipe.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here