Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can one safely marinate chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can one safely marinate chicken?

Late last night I marinated some chicken thighs in a marinade that is basically 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup lime juice. It is really raining at the moment and I'm not set up to grill in that kind of weather.

Can I safely let these go another day? Is the lime juice going to "cook" the chicken to any appreciable degree?

As long as you keep it in the fridge at 35-37* you're fine for several days. I had a similar situation over the weekend and went about 3 days before I got to some salt brined stuffed chicken breasts. As to the lime it may begin to cook somewhat, it will definitely change the texture to some degree. Still I wouldn't sweat it too much,take it as a learning experience.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Troutman. I once marinated boneless skinless chicken breast too long, and they were a little mushy when cooked but tasted fine. It was more a texture issue than anything else.

(I'm a little discombobulated today with everything going on.)

From Googling, I'm finding answers all over the map. It looks like to not adversely affect the taste/texture, keep it within a day, but for food safety you can go two days.

Then, of course, I find advice like this:

"Because marinating does practically nothing to chicken, so there's no need to fret about how long you do it, or even whether you do it at all." https://www.thespruceeats.com/tips-f...chicken-482394
    (Although to be fair to the author, he does clearly state that leaving food in acid firms it up....in other words cooks it.)

Comment

• Grapefarmer
      Grapefarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      discombobulated A word my parents used. Love the old vernacular.

Thanks all.....this has been a day. Definitely a day.

Comment

The sun will come out and those chix will taste great. Enjoy cooking outside.

Kathryn

Comment

Add some salt and let it rip!!

Comment

Oh, here's the marinade. It's from Steven Raichlen and is perhaps the favorite of all of the recipes I've tried from him. I use boneless chicken thighs rather than a whole chicken.

Both of the Peruvian sauces can be easily found on Amazon. (I'm not sure why he calls it a green sauce; it is quite yellow.)

This Peruvian-Style Spit-Roasted Chicken with Green Sauce is rubbed with paprika, cumin, lime, and authentic Peruvian ají amarillo paste and huacatay.

Comment

Lime juice will eventually start to break down the chicken. But safety-wise you are fine. An extra day probably won't break down the chicken too much.

Comment

You need at least 10,000,004 PATHOGENIC microbes to give you a tummy ache if you get to 165 internal. Let her swim.

Comment

I mean... you can take it OUT of the marinade too.

Comment

As others have pointed out...this "could" be a texture/desirability issue...but from a food safety standpoint, so long as it’s being held at a proper temp, it’s going to be fine.

The lime will break down the proteins and "cook" it a bit...that’s how ceviche works. But it should be fine if kept refrigerated.
                  Last edited by surfdog; March 17, 2020, 01:58 PM. Reason: Shpelling

Comment

At least drain it, and if possible cook it. The problem is the acid in the lime. It will do weird things to the texture sitting more than a day. I know this from experience 🤨

Comment

The chicken turned out fine. Perhaps, just a little "firmer," if you will, than it would have been otherwise, but otherwise just fine. Thank you everyone for your advice and counsel!

So here we have it.....social distancing comfort food at its finest, with an appropriate amount of HEB potato salad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3802.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	816582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3801.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	816583

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here