Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me get my boneless skinless chicken breast right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me get my boneless skinless chicken breast right.

I've never been good at doing just breasts and them not being dry as a bone. I saw one method on here for a BGE but I need to do quite a bit more than that. There is a restaurant down the road that does the best chicken and fish, it is never dry or overdone, it isn't hammered flat, and it has to have some intense heat to get the char they do.

Here is a pic of their chicken, a little hard to see with the sauce here. I think this one is a fish pic, same grill for it all though I assume.

Thanks!

If you don't want to pound your meat ;-), there are a few other tricks that are talked about on this site that when utilized can deliver a good boneless, skinless breast - dry brining, reverse sear and using a good instant read thermometer to hit that internal temp just right. The biggest key is the internal temp. If you pull it off right as the thickest part hits 165 the meat will be juicy and tender.

Comment

_John_ I have, through a few different trials, found that using the general chicken temp of 325+ works great even on blsl breasts. The quicker cook time really preserves more moisture. Sometimes I marinade, sometimes I use my rib rub or Southern Flavor, sometimes I wet brine. All that depends on how the mood strikes me/the family. But I always cook 325+ FWIW. Sometimes I sear them but usually not. Oh, and of course temp them 160-165 max, no rest serve piping hot.

Comment

I knew the chicken King Huskee would be on this topic like flies on a watermelon 😉

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Like ugly on a lunch lady

Sounds about like the way I cook it, but I usually get a pretty thick, tough layer on the outside. I'll give the reverse sear a try, works for everything else.

Comment

As JeffJ & Huskee stated, dry brine 24 hrs, grill at 325 + and pull when internal hits 165.
          I use rib rub . The dry brine makes it tender and juicy.

Comment

Boil it first...

Just Kidding! I would like to find a fool proof way to do breasts too... Mine always turn out just like you describe, John.

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              It's one of the only things I don't like cooking, it always turns out perfect in the skillet on the stove, and really good as a whole bird on the grill, but never when it is just the breast.

I need some sort of device that separates the coal in my kettle from the rest, so I can slowly bring it up to temp on one side and then sear the crud out of it on the other. Preferably with a channel to put some water in so the humidity stays up.

Somebody ought to get on that...

Comment

_John_ like the "Slow n Sear"?

Comment

Exactly like that but I can't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  Exactly like that but I can't get one.

But Why. John???

Comment

Oh he got it on Kickstarter, cool.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      _John_ trying hard as I can to get it to market. Glad you like the design!

Pound the breast flat and try Meadhead's reverse sear method. No grill marks, but rally juicy.

Comment

Huskee recommended at least 325 F. I concur. In my kettle I'll use a full chimney of lit coals (on the gasser the front 2 burners will be on high the back burner will be off) and I cook indirect with a very brief reverse sear. I am usually over 400. The chicken cooks fast and indirect so it doesn't have much of a chance to lose a lot of moisture.

Comment

I think you can pull it at 160 and that will help. You should also consider dry brining, pounding, and making sure you use an accurate thermometer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here