Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chef Steps Spatchcock Chicken Video: A New Twist on an Old Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.

Comment

Seems like a really interesting spin on something I know I've never though twice about changing my technique on. For sure will have to give this a try next time around.

Comment

Wow, what a find! That was very interesting. Thanks, Kathryn!

Comment

At home I make ranch by the gallon.

thats a common technical for the chicken debone. You should practice that. Easy money.

it never used to be necessary to score the underside of the breast.

if you taters get mushy adjust the par level of the cook or use russet and not new potatoes.

thats some good eating chix right there.

Thanks K

Comment

I like to coat chicken wings in ranch powder before deep frying them for Buffalo wings. And, fzxdoc , that Hidden Valley Ranch powder has been available for at least 2 decades. I used to buy it when I was married to my ex.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, I must have been zoning out in that section of the grocery for 20 years.

I just noticed the powder in jars recently when I saw an ad for it. Until now, I've just been using the Hidden Valley Ranch packets, which are fine too. But I like the jar option better.

Kathryn

I made the Ranch Chicken recipe tonight with a 5 lb roaster chicken, spatchcocking and scoring the bird exactly as shown in the video link in the first two posts here. It turned out great. By the time the breast had reached 160°, the legs and thighs were 170-180°. I used the Convection Roast setting on my oven, set to 400° for 45 minutes, kicking up to 450° for another 30 minutes to bring it to the finish line. Next time I may roast the bird at 450° the whole way.

The skin was nice and crispy, and the potatoes had crispy nooks, nicely caramelized in places. Instead of cramming everything into a 9x13 inch casserole dish as the directions said, I used a large 16" square sheet pan--plenty of room for the smashed par-boiled potatoes to congregate under the chicken and peek out around the edges.

Next time I'll use more ranch powder. I didn't measure it out (Chef Steps uses 1 oz per side of the chicken); I just shook it on like any other rub. I may shake some onto the potatoes as well to see how we like it. The flavor was delicious, but could have used a little more ranch punch.

I put this recipe in the "Company Worthy" section of my cookbook app.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; March 8, 2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Have to wonder if there’s a way to hang this in the PBC after removing so much of the bones etc.

As thin as it is, I’m sure you can roast around 500F and be fine.

Comment

• RobertC
                RobertC commented
                Editing a comment
                I spatchcocked a chicken last night to try out the technique. Spatchcocking like that is easier than but most of the way to making a full ballotine, which is simple to hang in a PBC. If you search here in the forum for "ballotine" you can find a couple of photos.
                Last edited by RobertC; March 8, 2020, 10:54 AM.

It's pretty fragile, Polarbear777 after removing so many bones and scoring/flaying it front and back. It would work in a shallow pan placed the grate just fine. That way you could still roast it on a bed of smashed potatoes so they soak up some of that deliciousness.

From the amount of Ranch dressing powder I used, I'd venture to guess that the smokey flavor from the PBC might overwhelm it. Adding more Ranch powder up front is certainly an option, but that stuff has a lot of salt in it, so after while you reach the point of diminishing returns, flavorwise. I'd be more tempted to roast it in my gasser.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I Like it!

Comment

Thanks for this Kathryn! I'm not doing the ranch recipe but I've just spatchcocked a chicken as per the video, hit it with some Lawry's seasoned salt and am going to add some Tajin tomorrow and then cook it on the Napoleon kettle with the SnS. I'll let you know how it turns out. It is pretty floppy when done this way. :-)
                  fzxdoc

Comment

That’s the best video on this topic I have seen so far. And yes the guy sure makes it look easy! Also, time to sharpen my knives.

Comment

pkadare , I've made this Ranch Chicken recipe twice, and both times my husband, mouth full, said "company-worthy chicken". The new potatoes under the chicken crisp in the drippings and oil. I added Ranch Seasoning to them as well before putting the chicken on them.

Nice thing about this spatchcock method is that it makes slicing and serving super easy, and the chicken cooks more evenly than with the old-school spatchcock method.

Kathryn

Comment

So the new spatchcock technique was a roaring success. The meat was tender, juicy, and really flavourful. I should have read the Tajin ingredients first though, it contains salt, and since I'd already dry brined with Lawry's I decided to go with a salt free commercial chicken rub I had. Still really good but I was looking forward to that chili/lime taste. Slicing the chicken and removing the ribs made a big difference in both taste and cook time. I'm not 100% certain but I think doing it this way shaved 20 minutes or so off the total time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spchicken1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	847307

Name:	spchicken2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	847305

Name:	spchicken5.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	847306

Name:	spchicken3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	847304

Name:	spchicken4.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	847308

Name:	spchicken6.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	847303

Comment

What a nice looking cook, pkadare . I bet it tasted great. Besides being a way to cook juicy, flavorful chicken, I find I like the spatchcock method because it lets me use my nice sharp Shuns to their best advantage, and there's fun in that as well.

Kathryn

Comment

I posted some pics of a spatchcocked chicken I made a while back marinated in Sabauce and indian seasoning I love. I mentioned I used a "modified" spatchcock technique and well, this is it, I just figured this out on my own. I don't score it but why guess I'll try that. And as others noticed, not much is left holding it together so you can just cut it two pieces to make it easier to handle.

One thing I am careful with after wet brining chicken if you reverse sear to make sure the grill is hot enough so you do not steam it and make it mush especially if you are using something like Grill Grates.

As for the dry ranch seasoning, I have used it to coat chicken wings for 20 years now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here