Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chef Steps Spatchcock Chicken Video: A New Twist on an Old Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chef Steps Spatchcock Chicken Video: A New Twist on an Old Technique

I know, I know. There are zillions of how-to-spatchcock-a-chicken videos out there. But I've never seen one spatchcocked and scored quite like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97l...ature=youtu.be

They slice the legs and thighs from the back to make them lay more flat to encourage even cooking: they remove the rib bones, the keel (breast) bone, and a few other bones here and there. Of course they make it all look so easy with their super sharp knife.

The video was embedded in a recipe for making Ranch (roast) chicken on a bed of smashed parboiled 1-inch potatoes, which actually sounds pretty delicious. The bird is sprinkled with ranch dressing powder just before roasting (dry brining with the salty powder will apparently make the surface of the bird gummy). Here's a recipe link but I think it will only open for paying (Studio Pass) members:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...untertop-ovens

Anyway, enjoy the video. I did.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 8, 2020, 07:10 AM.

Interesting..... I like the technique for removing the breast bone. And your knife should always be sharp!

BTW here's a clean video link: https://youtu.be/h97lR321hIg

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I had already edited to replace the original link with a clean link by the time you posted. But thanks for this anyway. My knife is always sharp, but I'm still mesmerized when I watch a sharp knife slice through meat muscle.

K.

That was really informative. In addition to flattening the bird out even more, it gives you more nooks and crannies to get seasoning in. Thanks a bunch for posting!

Comment

Like that and will have to try that next week. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Thanks for the video. Cool technique.

Comment

Helpful video. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Thanks, Kathryn ...

Comment

That was an extremely sharp knife.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. A very cool technique for sure.

Comment

made this recipe several times. I like the addition of bacon grease though. I make bacon ranch rotisserie chicken too.

Comment

Cool, I'm gonna have to try that. I like that they remove the breast bone and ribs. Thanks for sharing Kathryn!

Comment

I've made this recipe. The ranch chicken is fantastic. Few drawbacks, the potatoes didn't cook great - they broke down before browning. Also without some of the bones, the chicken took a little finesse to remove from pan without it falling apart.

really liked using the ranch powder though, I've been experimenting with other seasoning powders as well. Zesty Italian mixed with flour for chicken cutlets in the first step of egg - bread - fry was great

Comment

Thanks for the info about using that recipe, Pobeque . Perhaps the rib bones should stay in and the chicken removed in two halves. I'll keep an eye on that when I make it. I was curious about using that Ranch mix too, especially now that Hidden Valley is selling it by the jar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0007110021078_A?$DT_Zoom$.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	811734

Nice idea about the Italian seasoning mix.

BTW, for those who are Chef Steps Studio Pass members, scrolling down through the comments section on the Ranch Chicken page will yield a recipe for ranch dressing powder made from scratch at home.

Kathryn

Comment

Interesting way to spatchcock. Thanks for posting Kathryn.

Comment

Interesting. I like the idea of ranch powder too. I often take those McCormick Grillmates packets that are designed as a marinade and simply sprinkle them on as a dry rub, never thought of ranch that way.

Comment

• Razor
                              Razor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My wife makes home fries using ranch like that. Out of this world.

• Steve R.
                              Steve R. commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Mine does potato wedges that way, Razor. You're right, insanely good!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here