Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking in pans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking in pans.

I’ve never cooked in pans, but considering it for chicken In particular. Who uses pans for chicken? What can you teach me? Pic for attention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F0E63E01-E125-4B96-AB96-8A164F59E096.jpeg
Views:	429
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	810160

I wouldn’t do it. It’ll make the bottom soggy.

Comment

Put a cooling rack in the pan, it will stop it from getting soggy and the smoke will hit all sides

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        This

I don't, all those juices will make the chicken soggy.

Comment

I do it over veggies all the time.

Name:	20200223_184939.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	810187

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I do that with turkeys...it’s essentially an edible roasting rack.

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack can you link the recipe or do you wing it? This looks great

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr I followed this recipe except that I did it in a kamado.

This isn’t the crisp-skinned, high-heat-roast chicken you’re probably familiar with. Instead, it’s a melt-in-your-mouth tender, schmaltzy, slow-roast version that’s more akin to a rotisserie chicken than anything else, except (bonus!) it gets slathered in gochujang!

I'll do Chuck roast in a pan just to keep it moist for when I pull it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Done many a round steak in a pan overnight in the oven. Rice, carrots, potatoes.....I think I have one more in the freezer.

I'll finish / hold in the oven with a pan, meat on a rack.

Comment

I'm with the others in that if you plan to eat the skin and don't want it soggy, don't put the chicken in a pan unless you use a rack (or garlic halves in Attjack's recipe) to keep the chicken off the bottom of the pan.

Comment

some people at competition Like to butter poach the boneless thighs (with scraped skins) in square or rectangular muffin tins for a while before removing and dusting them, the finally glazing them. When I say competition, I mean KCBS. Down here in Texas, most events use half birds no pan. Personally I only use a pan on butts occasionally, and that is after the stall when I crutch.

Comment

I use pans, not always. Most of the time. i have a pan with 9 compartments for thighs, with breast i use shallow through away type. The trick is to get it out of the pan the last 15 min. so it's not soggy. When your ready to glaze.

Comment

For turkey, which also works for chicken, I generally put a layer of veg on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Sort of an edible roasting rack. Use veg you’re either going to eat, or incorporate into a sauce/gravy.

For chicken on the grill, I’ll sometimes use these...

and

Comment

I use a pan for pot roast. I smoke the chuck roast first in PBC for an hour or so. Then transfer to pan with all the spices not yet added, the potatoes and other vegetables , etc. then cover and return to PBC (you could easily use kitchen oven if preferred at this point as that first hour yields plenty of smoke on PBC) until meat is probe tinder. Sometimes 4 hours total (including smoke time) is plenty. Sometimes not tender at all. Depends of the roast I believe, but I want to cook it until I can tear the roast with a fork, not needing a knife. I have been using foil pans covered with aluminum foil, but recently purchased a 5 qt Lodge iron dutch oven. Next time I plan to try using the iron oven, sitting on the PBC grate, covered with iron lid. Hoping the iron will transfer the heat more evenly, that it will cook more quickly, and mostly for the ease of removing the lid long enough to test meat temp/tenderness and quickly return lid to oven as opposed to the pain of removing and reattaching the alum foil on the setup I have been using.
                  Last edited by Alabama Smoke; March 4, 2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Sheet Pan is a way to go... low profile to allow the smoke and the air flow to do it's thing.

Comment

I would use a low profile pan, like PKB mentioned, but I would add an elevated wire rack inside of it. The wire rack will keep the bottom from getting soggy and will allow for the smoke and heat to do the work.

Comment

Now, don't be hatin...jus use a roastin rack...

Name:	SoggyBottomBoys.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	811690

Comment

• randy56
                          randy56 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          soggy bottom boys

• Potkettleblack
                          Potkettleblack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It's ironic that you used the Soggy Bottom Boys for a tip to avoid a soggy bottom... right?

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Care fer some gopher?

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here