Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Turkey Pastrami Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Turkey Pastrami Recipe

I was in the Publix Grocery Store in Greenville, SC and they have an excellent deli/sandwich section. Just for the heck if it, I tried turkey pastrami. I was shocked how good it was. I've made QVQ brisket pastrami (thanks Troutman and Jerod Broussard!) and thought it was fantastic, but I gotta say the turkey pastrami was really good. As I'm getting older and trying to cut some fat and calories out of my diet, I was hoping someone on AR has a good recipe for turkey pastrami they're willing to share. Thanks much!
    The OmegaDog
    Last edited by OmegaDog12; February 21, 2020, 07:29 AM.

When Sous Vide able, and looking for Pastrami, Kosher Dosher is your man.
    The basic breast pastrami: https://kosherdosher4.blogspot.com/2...-pastrami.html

The Mad Science Dark Meat Pastrami: https://kosherdosher4.blogspot.com/2...-pastrami.html

Comment

• OmegaDog12
      OmegaDog12 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Potkettleblack..the Kosherdosher site is interesting and informative. Gonna try it by their method What brand/type of gram-scale do you have/recommend?
      The OmegaDog

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Escali P115C. Got it on Amazon. Recommended by Wirecutter.

I’ve done it a bunch. I generally follow the Amazing Ribs cure recipe, using my own version of pickling spice, and find it takes about 5 days to cure a normal boneless, skinless turkey breast. Then I desalinate for a few hours, tie into a cylinder shape, rub with a pastrami rub and smoke until it’s 155 degrees.

Any leftovers get reheated by steaming the slices for a few minutes.

pic below is from a year or so ago. Went too light on the rub but otherwise was very good

Click image for larger version

Name:	390F71E8-A0CA-4F9F-9623-F0DA91908A50.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	805545
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EE0CFD6F-7D2C-407C-9A40-25357FC72A0A.jpeg
Views:	514
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	805544

Comment

I do what shify does with cure time based on the free side calculator.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
        OmegaDog12 commented
        Editing a comment
        I assume you wet-brined and what would you change? May I have a copy of your pickling recipe?
        Thanks!
        The OmegaDog

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, wet brine. The reason I say to use the calculator is that you want to go on thickness of the breast, not weight.

I'd love to share the pickling recipe but... I have to confess that I use one from the bulk aisle of a local market. I think most pickling spice combos are similar with mustard seed, etc. This one does have some small dried chiles in it but honestly I don't notice heat.

Really, much of the flavor comes from the smoking with coriander and black pepper. mmmmm

Thanks to all!! Plan to get started today!
      The OmegaDog

Comment

One thing - before you smoke it, cut off a piece and cook it, then taste for saltiness. When I did my ~2lb section of breast for 2-3 days it was fine... but check. If the cooked piece is too salty, soak in water in the fridge for some time (8-24 hours...)

Also, Morton's kosher and sea salt are about 2x as salty per volume as Diamond Crystal due to shape. If you can, go by weight, not volume.
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 23, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I’ve never really thought of turkey for this. Interesting. I’m suddenly hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            I’ve never really thought of turkey for this. Interesting. I’m suddenly hungry.
            I like it a lot. A turkey breast is big enough to take some flavor on during a cure and takes enough time in the smoker to also take on flavor there. But it's small enough that I've actually done the smoking step on my Smokey Joe because it really only takes 2-3 hour to get to the 165F internal temp.

Don't get me wrong... I love beef pastrami too. Yesterday's breakfast was a hash that incorporated some bavette pastrami. The turkey is a nice change though.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              The more I think about it the more I may do something at work with it next month.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here