Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Fake' Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Fake' Chicken

KFC is rolling out 'Beyond Fried Chicken', a plant based 'chicken'.

Super. I'll NOT get in line anytime soon.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I won't be getting in line for their real chicken either. Fast food is gross.

I haven't saluted the Colonel in years, and this is not the way to get me to salute...

Comment

I find it interesting that a lot of the people that knock things like pill form vitamins, non organic produce, and anything in food that looks difficult to pronounce (like dihydrogenoxide) are embracing artificial meat. If it's an ethical thing, I can at least wrap my head around it.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean people who jump on whatever the latest fad is aren't exactly critical thinkers?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as it's gluten-free.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        When you give up meat you get desperate and people who actually eat healthily do not buy this garbage.

I'll eat something dead on the side of the road before I eat the Colonel ever again.
      Throws my stomach into backflips to the point I toss my heel bones up while eating a bottle of Tums.
      Popeyes doesn't seem to have the same effect so far.
      Haven't given the plant based thing much thought, is it a fad or here to stay.
      Given the choice I'll stick with actual meat over plant based for the foreseeable future.
      Up here there was a question of whether plant based had gone thru proper Gov't testing and approval.
      This was some time ago so things may have changed by now.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        other than a few local places, I like churches chicken, however, 99% of the fried chicken consumed in this house comes out of my deep fryer

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Popeye's

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I detest KFC. Of the fast food type, I would rank Popeye's top, Churches a close second. No one in third because the rest are horrible.

Take from some one who has made exactly 160 Beyond Meat patties. If you closed your eyes and smelled you couldn’t tell the difference between that and extruded dog food in a can.

smelled exactly the same. Tasted better than it smelled.

I really tried but they were not delicious.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack The dogs like it.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        As dogs are apparently fond of digging it cat litter boxes for treats... dog palatability is a low bar, no?

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        That was the take away from a piece on NPR a while back. The reporter ate dozens, if not hundreds, across the country.
        In a burger...surrounded by bun, lettuce, tomato, cheese, condiments, etc...they passed the test. But the patty only makes up a portion of a burger...and a small one at that sometimes. On their own...not even close.

Can we please place all of these vegans into a trash compactor and rid ourselves of this disgusting fad.
      For the love of meat. Please let this happen. 🙌

Comment

Why? Just eat some damn chicken.

Comment

But, ...............but................but............. .....it does taste like chicken.
          Hey, maybe they can sou vide it. Nuthin like plants in water. Heh, heh, heh. 😎

Comment

The whole idea seems to be that you want to give up meat but you don't want to 'miss' eating it, so you need to fool yourself into thinking you are still eating it. I'm not giving up meat, but I would like to think that I could just eat my salad and not worry about the fact that it's not like meat.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I love a steak salad.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              beyond chicken salad...wait is that considered a REAL salad...it IS plants after all....

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              No

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              "I enjoy fishing. It's relaxing like yoga, but you get to kill something at the end."

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              "Fish meat is practically a vegetable." LOL

Well, this thread confirms what we (and probably everybody) already knew: Those that frequent a website devoted to BBQ are not the intended market that KFC had in mind when they launched this product.

Comment

I grew up on a Dairy Farm in Minnesota. My Dad and Mom raised 6 kids on that farm. Several of my Siblings stayed involved in Agriculture in one way or another. I was involved in a Farm Equipment Dealership my entire adult life. Unless there is a special health reason to not eat Real Meat I will continue to do so. I don't apologize for supporting the people who supported me for the past 65 years.

Comment

Murdy is right, we are not the market. The groups they are catering to are those who want to eliminate meat, and this is just a baby step towards a goal they may never achieve, but a step nonetheless. When you consider the fast food market, it's mostly targeted towards young people. This is a step towards grooming a future generation to view meat as unhealthy, unsustainable, and a threat to the environment. If you can raise a generation on 'Beyond Chicken' nuggets and 'Impossible' burger, you can create a generation of adults who reject meat.

Inspired by the UN climate change report? Learn 5 ways you can cut down on your meat consumption to reduce your environmental impact.

Sustainability, equity and food sovereignty can be achieved in a system where safe and healthy food is grown to meet fundamental human needs, and where control over food and farming...

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. I didn't realize I have a misguided protein obsession. I just thought I liked a good porterhouse every now and then.

I, out of curiosity, had an Impossible Whopper a few weeks ago. With all the other junk they throw on the sandwich it's really hard to tell the difference. That said I read a little about it and found that although the base ingredients are soy and wheat, they saturate the whole thing in vegetable oil and a soy derivative (called heme) that gives the mouth feel of fatty meat. It even bleeds red like meat. As a result the IW has almost the exact same nutritional numbers as a beef burger; 240 calories and 8 grams of sat fat. Beside that the IW patty contains 340 grams of salt, about 16% of a normal dietary intake, versus little or none in beef. Obviously salt is a huge taste influencer.

The take away from all this is the plant based foods need to fool the palette with so much fat and salt that there is no nutritional benefit, in fact one might argue from the sodium standpoint that they are actually worse. Bottom line....eat more beef !!!

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The best plant based foods are actual plants.

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like plant based plants and meat based meats 😋🤣

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Copied from my previous reply...
                  That was the take away from a piece on NPR a while back. The reporter ate dozens, if not hundreds, across the country.
                  In a burger...surrounded by bun, lettuce, tomato, cheese, condiments, etc...they passed the test. But the patty only makes up a portion of a burger...and a small one at that sometimes. On their own...not even close.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here