Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry aging duck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry aging duck...

Serious eats is doing a month of duck recipes and techniques and they just posted an article on dry aging duck. Interesting stuff. I just asked if you can adapt this to the UMAI style bags but I expect a "dunno" answer.

I think aged duck is big in France, maybe...I can't remember, but I have heard of it.

Comment

You should at least take a quack at it...

Comment

Be sure to poke the skin to get all the duck quack out of it.

Comment

I'd say you guys quack me up but...
          Attached Files

Comment

My brother-in-law made a duck prosciutto around Christmas time. I don't know where he got the technique/recipe, but it was only cured in salt and dried in his refrigerator for a week or so. It was awful. So salty and sliced too thick, so it was chewy as well. I could hardly get it down. His fiance said "it's a little salty but I like it" as I was chewing. I agreed and quickly left the room before my face went into full wince mode.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah duck is too thin to cure in salt and not desalinate. I've done duck prosciutto and it's tasty if done right but you can't just treat it like a large green ham that you cover in salt and let hang. In relation to salt, its like making corned beef. If you don't desalinate that it's way too salty (assuming you use a dry cure here).

HUh... Ruhlman's recipe doesn't desalinate...

Note that he only cures it for 24 hours though.
              Last edited by rickgregory; January 22, 2020, 11:17 AM.

You have to watch an old made for TV series (Shogun), and watch them just hang them outside to dry them out. (Not recommended)

Since ducks are waterproof, you have to hang them feet up to drain the fluids out of them

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm in Seattle. I just wear them as a rain coat during the winter until they dry o... why is everyone backing away?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here