Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to debrine turkey legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to debrine turkey legs?

After a protracted search I was able to find and acquire 4 turkey legs. I put them into a brine Friday night. Because of distractions they spent 40 hours in a salt and Prague #1 brine bath instead of 24. I took them out and rinsed them off and decided to smoke one to see how it was.

One word description: SALTY

I would like to de-salt the other three. Will soaking them in clear water dilute the salt? Is there any way to save these legs?

Soak in clear water, change every ~8 hours. For a day, maybe. Ive done that (beef, not turkey, but...)

Comment

Do you know if the turkey legs were pre-brined in a solution when you received them?

Comment

• LDimick
        LDimick commented
        Editing a comment
        NO, they were not. Thye instructions said to soak for 24 hours and warned they would bf left in too long.

Yep soak the hell out of them.

Comment

Soak and change the water. Repeat

Comment

RO water will work better as it has had MOST of everything taken from it. Pure water will absorb more that tap water.

Comment

Decided to share a follow up.

I soaked the turkey legs in water for 3 days to dilute the over brining.

Put them on a Camp Chef smoker with Pecan and Cherry pellets. 1 hour at Hi Smoke and 30 minutes at 400.

IT was 185 all the way around (even in the cured pink areas).

Skin could have been a bit crisper but was still delicious.

The flavor was great! Tasted just a touch like ham and not a trace of being overly salted.

Attached Files

Comment

Oh jeez, ya did have to show us the one you were chomping on! 👍🕶

Comment

• LDimick
                LDimick commented
                Editing a comment
                Had those for lunch and sent the picture to my wife. She made me save the other two for dinner. She was pleased!

I wouldn't have expected desalinating for 3 days, I would've suggested 8-12hrs, but good to know they tasted good. Success! Also, next time be very cautious of too much nitrite. Curing too long and overdoing nitrite can be risky.

Comment

I haven't found information for the measure of salt to use when curing. I made an extremely salty ham using a different site's recipe that called for six cups salt for twenty pounds. The Dr. Blonder calculator addresses Prague #1 only. I cured four pork shanks, eight pounds, using one cup of salt...those were just right. I cured six pounds of venison using 3/4 cup salt.

Comment

Originally posted by ddmcwhirter View Post
                  I haven't found information for the measure of salt to use when curing. I made an extremely salty ham using a different site's recipe that called for six cups salt for twenty pounds. The Dr. Blonder calculator addresses Prague #1 only. I cured four pork shanks, eight pounds, using one cup of salt...those were just right. I cured six pounds of venison using 3/4 cup salt.
                  Use Blonder's calculator for the Prague #1/aka nitrite /aka curing only. Use Meathead's ham recipe for the regular flavoring salt. Can't comment on another website's ham recipe of course, other than 6 cups seems quite high. "Curing" is only when nitrite (Prague 1) is used. When it's simply table salt or kosher salt that is brining. I want to make sure we use the correct terminology to avoid oopses.

Comment

• LDimick
                    LDimick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That was EXACTLY what I did. When I see a recipe that has a LOT more Prague I remove that site from future use. The six cups wss the combined 'soup' that I used in 4 different bags.

Good point and info on the terms.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here