Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexican Pollo Asado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexican Pollo Asado

Had a couple of requests for this recipe so here goes. I discovered a variation of this on line so not all of it is mine but the modifications I made I think improves the original. Asado or asada in Spanish literally means "roast" or grill or barbecue. Filipinos have their own version as well, but I find the Mexican version more spicy with better flavor for my palate.

Asado chicken is all about the marinade. There are several acids used; usually orange and lime juices, for tenderizing. It also adds more of a sweetness and unique flavor component then something like vinegar (that the Filipinos use) cannot. The real star of the show are the spices hallmarked by achiote paste. Achiote is essentially ground annatto seed made into a paste. It gives the marinade the rich yellow-red color and unique flavor. It can be found in most grocery stores but if you can't get it paprika would be a good substitute.

A final note, this recipe calls for a lower and slower smoking. This is not a crispy skin result. The skin is somewhat soft but is full of flavor from the marinade. If you want a crispy skin, simply increase your heat. Grilling individual pieces that are marinaded is another option to consider.

Mexican Pollo Asado

Course: Dinner
    Cuisine: Latin, Mexican
    Makes: 2-3 servings
    Takes: 35 minutes to prepare marinade, marinating 24 hours, 1 1/2 hours to smoke

Ingredients

1 - 3 to 5 pound roasting chicken
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    1/2 cup avocado oil
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    4-5 garlic cloves minced
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon black ground pepper
    2 teaspoons Kosher salt
    2 teaspoons achiote paste

Before Cooking;

3-4 tablespoons of your favorite chicken seasoning after the marinading.

Method

1. If doing half chickens, take the whole roaster and spatchcock by cutting along the backbone (I leave the backbone attached), then halving by a final cut along the breast bone. Cut further into into individual pieces if you prefer to grill in that way.

2. Add the oil to a blender or food processor. Add to that the vinegar and all of the spices. Be sure to take a fork and press the achiote paste into a mashed down state before adding. Blend on high until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated. To that add the lime and orange juices. Once again blend on high for about 3-4 minutes to incorporate all of the ingredients into a homogeneous marinade.

3. Place your chicken halves into a 2 gallon Ziploc bag. Pour the marinade into the bag, seal and massage the chicken until all sides are thoroughly coated. Place the bag on a sheet pan in case of any leaks and refrigerate overnight (or 24 hours).

4. After marinading, remove the chickens from the bag and discard the marinade. Pat them dry with some paper towels and apply your favorite chicken seasoning liberally to all sides. I have been using Oak Ridge Secret Weapon with excellent results !!

5. Fire up your smoker (or grill). I like to hang the bird halves PBC style in my WSM, so a bullet or barrel cooker will give you the best results. Smoke your birds with 4-5 ozs. of fruit wood like apple or cherry at 275*F. Monitor the temperature in the breasts and cook to 160*F IT. It should take about 1 1/2 hours depending on your cooker and conditions.
    6. Pull, rest and slaughter those beauties
    ​​​​​​​

Honestly this is some of the best chicken I've made all year. Obviously others agree because we were besieged with requests over the holidays. The people have spoken !!! Good luck, hope you enjoy this delicious recipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pollo asado 03.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	784199Click image for larger version

Name:	pollo asado 02.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	784200

I'll have to try this. I was planning on making Pollo Asado this weekend anyway, so this recipe is on the list. Looks like you slightly tweaked the one you posted here (which I already made): https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...377#post759377
    Last edited by 58limited; December 27, 2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I’ve been wanting to try this since you posted the recipe a little while back. I really need to move this up to the top of the list, it looks great!

Comment

That looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe. Will try it soon.

Comment

One of my favorites with nice variations! Thanks Troutman.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here