Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Pot Pie with Lemon and Dill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Pot Pie with Lemon and Dill

Our family had our Thanksgiving feast on Friday. My spatchcocked 13 pound turkey tasted great, although I failed to get browned and crispy skin AND forgot the apple juice in the gravy pan. We have had several meals of rerunning the basics from the feast, so it was time today to repurpose most of the last of the turkey. I had some fresh dill on hand from our CSA basket, so I started poking around to see if anyone does turkey pot pie with dill in it.

Of course, just about any crazy combo can be found on the web, but it looks like doing pot pie with lemon and dill is definitely a thing. I looked at several recipes, but settled on this one from a site called The Pioneer Woman. I followed the recipe for the filling fairly closely, but added a couple of small sweet potatoes (CSA gave us more than we could cook for Thanksgiving) and used up the last cup of heavy whipping cream for half of the milk. I used some of Meathead's turkey gravy for the broth. I also used a bit of German whole mustard instead of Dijon. The filling was much thicker than expected from the recipe, so I added quite a bit more liquid, but switched to chicken broth so that the smoke flavor in the gravy wouldn't overwhelm the rest.

Being lazy, I just used Bisquick on the top, but did add the bit of dill suggested in the recipe. It only needed to cook about 25 minutes to get a really nice biscuit layer.

The flavor from the mix of lemon, dill and the mustards in all the rich cream is amazing. Even with frozen peas in it, it doesn't taste anything like institutional or frozen pot pie. I'm definitely saving the recipe and doing it again whenever I have too much turkey or chicken on hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	775658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	775657

That looks delicious. I have used a couple of her recipes and liked them.

Comment

Interesting. Never heard of that combo but why not? Chicken sure... why not turkey?

Goes to show you how pigeon holed we get. Or at least I do.

Comment

I love me some pot pies. Did raise my eyebrows at the lemon dill combo (love that with fish for sure) but why not jump outside the box. Nice cook !!!

Comment

I'm always amazed at the recipes for using up Thanksgiving turkey because at our house, by the time the leftovers are enjoyed for a day or two as sandwiches or whole plate re-enactments of the Thanksgiving dinner, there are only morsels left. So outside of making broth from the bones, I never get to try new recipes for using up leftovers.

This recipe looks pretty tasty, though, and would be a great way to use up some of the shredded smoked chicken that I always have in the freezer. Thanks, Jim White for the info and the link. I'm intrigued by the lemon and dill combo. I often roast chickens stuffed with lemon quarters (this Ina Garten recipe), but would never have thought to use dill.

Kathryn

Comment

That looks pretty awesome!

Comment

This looks amazing. If only I had some leftover turkey..............oh wait!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here