Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

turkey tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turkey tails

I have 5 pounds of turkey tails that I am going to smoke tomorrow. There is very little on how to do that online, most recipes start with store bought smoked turkey tails. You use them like you would pork or ham hocks. I am not going to cure them, I have never done them before. I hear they are really fatty. So I assume that I will smoke them for a long time to render fat. At least a couple hours on the PBC, checking them all the time. Probably 3 hours? Anyone have any experience with these?

No experience - didn’t even know it was real when you posted the question. Did research and I’m really looking forward to you cooking it and reporting back.

Comment

I'm interested to hear how they come out but I'm certain I won't try them myself. My brother always claimed the tail at Thanksgiving - never understood that. I don't think anyone else was really vying for that portion of the bird.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've always claimed it (The Pope's Nose where I grew up), but this year, split it with the wife, who saw the attraction.

To get it to work with the upright stand, I did hinge it, so it would lay flat on the grill.

D-Lish-Us

I’ve had Turkey Testicles fried before at a restaurant in Pismo Beach, ca. called McClintochs. They were actually pretty good, but never the tail.

Comment

The "pope's nose." It was my mother's favorite part of the turkey! They are great on a regularly roasted or smoked turkey, so I would think you could cook them exactly the same way.

Comment

I always save that nibblet for myself. I would be tempted to use them for ossobucco turkey style or a really rich broth myself.

Comment

Here’s a video showing one way to do it. Looks pretty good. https://youtu.be/fawKD7r1hp4

Comment

My MIL loved the "last part over the fence" but it was just cooked along with the rest. Sorry.

Comment

I always claim the tail from a roasted turkey, if I can. I love it.

Comment

Where do you even get 5 pounds of turkey tails?? I would love that! It's a delicious part of the bird.

Comment

I smoked the tails on a PBC with pecan and oak, took about 2 hours for the largest tails to get to 165. Most of the tails were smaller than what I have seen online, that people use in greens, beans, etc. I think the smoked ones you can buy must be cured, from the color they have. You definitely need big ones, there is not much meat on them. You really only get a couple bites off each. Those bites are very tasty though. They are by far the fattiest things I have ever cooked. The two below were the biggest ones I had. I won't be doing these by themselves again, but I will be sure to be the one who gets the tail from a whole turkey from now on!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_150647.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	775601

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here