Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook time for spatchcock bird on Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook time for spatchcock bird on Friday

Figured buy Friday you all will be practiced up to help me. Game plan-
    1) Spatchcock 10# bird.
    2) Inject with seasoned butter. Rub skin dry and season.
    3) Put on smoker using hickory and cherry at 200 degrees for about 1 hour.
    4) Kick temp to 325 to finish bird. White 165 and dark 180.
    My question is what do you think total cook time should be about?

Don't ask me. I am always way off.

I just use the thermometer and that is that.

That said, I'd plan on 2 hours but expect it sooner.

Comment

I would say 2 at 325, but since you are starting at 200, then ramping to 325, likely between 2 and 3. Monitor the temperature of the breast, and pull at 160 - carry over will take it to 165.

Comment

With an hour at 200, you are probably looking at around 3.5 to 4.0 hours. Heres mine from last year, doing the same thing tomorrow. Here is my old Fireboard session linky poo...

Setpoint 325, That's Incredible Rub, Parkay injected, peach wood. Cook took 3 hours.

And a pic to lick your chops.

Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	774307
        Last edited by lonnie mac; November 28, 2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

10# is a smaller bird, so I'd say at 3 hours total you will be close, maybe even sooner at the 325 finishing cooker temp.

Comment

It's always interesting to see the different techniques taken for poultry. I had a fresh 14 lb. bird, spatchcocked, brined for 30 hours, air dried in fridge for 24 hours, injected with melted Kerrygold butter and a few spices, put on the grill at 275* (MAK 2 Star) and at about the 4 hour mark it was on the carving board and as moist of a bird as I've been able to get thus far. Even one of our guests is a professional chef specializing in Russian cuisine wanted to take a care package home. All in all I felt great about the results and ended up with a better product than I deserved or even had hoped for.

Comment

I never go by time. Take the breast to 155 and thighs to 165. Carry over cooking will take it 5-10 higher.. Cover them with foil and heavy towels

Comment

Ended up one hour at 220 then 1.5 hours at 350 for 10 lb bird.

Comment

• fkrall
                  fkrall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting. We did a whole 12.5# unstuffed bird @ 325 straight from the fridge into the oven (my wife's idea) in 2 hrs 15 minutes to 160. Comparing weight and time with your experience and others' on this thread confirms Meathead's reminder that turkeys are notoriously unpredictable in the wild and on the fire!

Here’s what I use. They have a chart showing times using different cooking methods.

https://www.campchef.com/blog/your-g...mes-for-turkey
                Last edited by Randy-Phx; November 30, 2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here