Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chambro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chambro

Have to transport turkey so trying Cambro for first time today. Instructions say wrap in foil yet photos show no foil. Just want to confirm. And, might be in there for 1.5 hrs. Do I still remove from smoker at 160? Maybe in oven before we eat?

Wrap it tightly in foil. It will still leak juices on the towel but less than if not wrapped in foil. Then wrap with towels - enough to both completely cover the bird and fill up the cooler. You want lots of dead air and the full cooler with towels and bird will do that. I would cook to 160 (breast) and 175 +/_ in the thighs, then wrap and Cambro. In 1.5 hrs it will still be plenty warm. Oven is an option but you probably won't need it. You will do fine.

Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

Do you have a pan that fits in your Cambro device. If so, put it in the pan, on a roast rack raised from the pan, if possible. Cover in foil. If you don’t have a rack, don’t worry about it. 1.5 hours is a short Cambro period so you will be good.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s the beauty of a true Cambro...slide a pan in there and move on.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog - I have one and love it. I realized a some time back that freeing up the ice chest was invaluable.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 I agree. Not only does it free up an ice chest...but it works EXACTLY like it was designed to...and do what we're trying to accomplish in the first place. LOL

This is for those that don't already own one...
        Yes, they can be a bit pricey...but they work well, and being able to slide pans in is a big plus IMO. I can take one of my SS pans out of a transport Cambro and directly into a friend's oven to reheat as needed/planned...without having to unwrap a juicy/wet beach towel.

My turkey was ready early. Held in a Cambro for 2 hours and it was still plenty hot at serving time.

Comment

Worked out well. Kept in chambro for over 2 hours. It maintained temp unbelievably well. Skin was ok, but not as crisp as it would have been. I’d prefer to eat it right when done, but I would use chambro method again if needed.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you find that the breast meat was more moist than usual? When I cook breasts, as I did this year, I really like to Cambro even though I wasn’t transporting or having to wait. I set up my cook that way. I find that the breast meat is more tender but I do give up the perfect skin.

• ScottWheeler
          ScottWheeler commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not find the breast more moist. I did take off smoker at about 163 versus 160. I may try a little butter injection next time (and get it off right at 160).

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here