Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satsuma or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satsuma or no?

I'm not cooking until Friday, so I'm still working on my plans. I have an 11-12 lb turkey I will spatchcock and dry brine tomorrow. I've made a fresh batch of Simon and Garfunkel rub. I'm planning to do Meathead's gravy with the roasting pan under the bird. So far, I'm planning to follow his recipe closely. But, we have these wonderful Satsuma oranges from our CSA farmer. I'm thinking about putting one or two of them, halved, into the pan. I know folks like to put oranges inside the cavity when cooking turkeys intact. But, will the orange be good in the gravy? And if I put the orange in there, should I leave out the apple juice?

I don't think so. If you are wanting some acid, go with some wine.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I do have some white wine that 's been open a while. That will be a good use for it.

Why not make a relish with the Satsumas and cranberries?

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea! I've already made our traditional cranberries, sugar and brandy simple sauce, but there's no reason not to take some of that and add some Satsuma.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White you may have a new addition to your annual turkey tradition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here